~56~

A quarter of a million!

Elena was off, and I could tell. She must still be put off from whatever fell inside. "It's alright, Elena," I said with a small chuckle, "the place is old and I moved that wood around, that's probably what fell."

"I hope so," she mumbled under her breath, turning off the camera and turning on her flashlight for our mini hike to the next building.

"Well let's talk about something to get our minds off it," I said and offered her a positive smile, trying to cheer her a little. She thought for a second.

"You never talk about Colby," she said, I could practically see the smirk on her face, even though we're in the dark.

I'm not used to talking about relationships of any kind, not friendships, not boyfriends, not parents, nothing. I never got in the hang of it. I mean, I couldn't tell the few friends I had in high school about my father, and I couldn't tell my father about the friends I had. He would think I was telling them everything, when in fact, it's the opposite.

Just keep your cool. It's okay to like him, you know.

I pushed my hair behind my ear and shone my flashlight around a little.

"What do you want to know?" I asked with a shrug. "How many dates have you been on? When did he tell you he likes you or vise versa? Everything!" She said. She sounded excited, which made me excited. Maybe her feelings for him were a fling, just like every other boy she's "liked".

I thought for a second. "Well, I go over to the mansion a lot, but we've only been on one official date. He took me to the California Symphony," I said and smiled despite myself when I think back to that night. Not being dramatic or cliche or cheesy, that may have been one of the best nights of my life.

Most of the time I'm living paycheck to paycheck, not exactly now that I lost my job and I'm living off of savings until I can find one. So it's not like I could ever afford tickets to go see the California Symphony. And at the same time, no guy has ever wanted to spend that much money on me, or try his hardest to make me happy. That's supposed to be the father figure's job, to give their daughter the standards she needs to date and marry and love. But I wasn't given that privilege. Though I will say I'm lucky, or rather, smart. Most girls in my situation would find themselves in a relationship which are just like the ones they had with their fathers.

I had something that replaced the void that only a man's love could fill in a heterosexual girl, a love for music, and that's carried me farther than any love from another human could take me. And Colby's affection just adds on to the filled void that piano took care of.

And I loved it that way.

"Wow, aren't those tickets expensive?" She asked, surprised. I smile and nod. "Hella expensive, he even got us our own box."

"Aw, that's so cute! I totally ship it," she said with a smirk at me, knowing I wouldn't like her saying it that way. I rolled my eyes sarcastically, but finally cracked a smile. "I really like this guy, Elena," I said. Without thinking, I was testing the waters of her feelings.

"I'm glad, it's about time. I was starting to think you were a closeted lesbian," she teased, I could tell she was joking. I rolled my eyes again and pushed my hair behind my ear. "Oh whatever."

"Tell me more about him," she said, "Like what's he like without a camera around? I mean, I haven't been with him when we were filming a video or doing something that has to do with YouTube," she said through a chuckle. I thought for a second. What is he like?

Well in truth, he's kind of like how he is on camera. Quirky, but you wouldn't know how smooth and flirtatious he is away from camera. He talks a little slower too, especially when I'm upset. Soothingly.

Should I tell her everything? No, I think I would want to keep that kind of thing to myself. But I have to tell her something.

"The same as he is on camera, really," I said and shrugged. "He just asks a lot of questions," I say and shrug. Talking about him made me miss him more.