~77~

I opened the door, and saw them both looking at me. "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, playing dumb. I handed Elena release papers she and I needed to sign.

"Nothing. We were just talking about my video idea for this afternoon," Colby lied. He lied. Could I expect him to tell the truth?

I could feel my heart shaking in my chest. Whatever you thought we had...

I know Colby loves me. Doesn't he? I mean, we're always together. Not now, Rose.

For once the aggressive voice didn't pipe in.

I just smiled at the both of them. "Oh? Then what video are we doing?" He asked. "I was thinking we could do a challenge video. Or a prank. We can recreate the death prank I pulled on Sam a few months ago but on everyone in the house. Have you guys and Sam in on it," Colby said with a smirk.

I don't want to be in front of a camera again today... I don't want to be behind it either.

My brain started talking before I could stop it. "You guys go ahead. I'm going to go to the school so I can practice for a bit, it's been awhile. Mr. Ling might have an assignment for me," I said. So what if I left them alone, I trust Colby. And I know his guilty conscience is going to come clean eventually. But I had to know now.

"But I think you guys owe me an explanation on what you were just talking about," I said. If he dated her, or is cheating on me, or ever liked her at one time, I deserve to know. It could explain so much...

Colby stood up and took my hand. "I should've told you sooner, I know. How much did you hear?" He asks. "Does it matter? Just tell me everything. Even the stuff I don't need to know."

Elena piped up. "It doesn't matter, Rose. What happened happened," Elena shrugged. I looked at her, and it felt like my heart was wrenching.

You have every guy wrapped around your pretty finger, but you can't let me have Colby?

A long time ago I promised myself that I would choose Elena over Colby, her friendship meant more than any other relationship I'd have, but that was simply because I didn't think a relationship was possible. But now I'm faced with a question, do I side with a girl who has tormented me and used me, or a guy who's wants me for me?

I don't care how stupid I look, I believe Colby. I deserve Colby. I deserve a guy like Colby, one who wants me.

The way her eyes cut at me, even here in her hospital bed, filled me with a mix of rage and hurt. I don't get mad. I'm not an angry person, I've seen explosive anger. So I keep my calm, but now I felt the heat rising.

There's a question I've never seemed to ask: Don't I, your best friend, mean more than a stupid guy?

The answer is: no, I don't. I've never matter more. Just like when I met Colby, that night at the silo, I didn't want to go but she made me so she could see Hayden.

She used me to get into the house when I made friends with the guys.

She wrecked my car to get to a boy.

Because why else has she ever gone to a party? She abandoned me to go up stairs with some guy. If that's what she wants to do with her time, that's fine. But when she leaves me, a shy girl who's afraid of loud noises and touchy men, then that's a bad friend. That's a bitch move.

"But she deserves to know, Elena. Why don't you tell her?" He asked. He ran his hand down my arm and took my hand.

"Fine. Colby and I have done more than you want to know. Before you started dating him. Before Coachella even," she said.

"Have you had sex?" I asked. "We should've, but he's too much of a pussy," she said.

I felt tears start to sting at my eyes. Colby squeezed my hand harder. "Rose, I'm sorry," he said. I took my hand away. "We'll talk about it later," was all I said. Diffuse. Deflect. That's what I had to learn to do with my father, I can do that anytime in any situation. "Sign the papers so Colby can take us home. Then I'll need the money to pay for my car repairs," I said as I turned from them and opened the door and left the room, leaving them alone again.

I opened the door to the bathroom on this floor and walked in a stall and locked the door. I leaned against the door and took a deep breath. A lump in my throat formed.

I'm going to need a heartfelt apology. I don't even know if that will be enough.

I fought the urge to cry, but then pulled myself together. I didn't give myself time to think. It at all. I walked out of the bathroom where Colby was leaning against the wall across from the door.

I didn't say anything. "I should've told you sooner."

"Yeah you should've."

"She means nothing to me now."

"We'll talk about it later," I said. Colby didn't listen, all he did was wrap his arms around my waist and hugged me. "I'm sorry, Rose..." he said. His voice was breaking a little. He's sincere. He deserves my forgiveness.

"I love you, Rose. A lot. We'll talk about it later, but I love you."