(98) Tread Lightly.

"I can wait up, if you'd like," Logan said, both of straining to see what was going on inside the mansion. Where I practically lived.

"No," I said and waved him off a bit. Not many lights were on, but there were dozens of cars in the driveway, and all the lights were on.

"It looks like they're having a party. What an asshole," Logan growled. I started to open the door when he suddenly locked it so I couldn't leave. I looked back at him. "You don't have to go with him. You can come stay at my apartment for the night, give him the silent treatment," he said.

I shook my head. "No, but you can drive me home afterwards. I'll be back soon. Wait for me, alright?" I asked. Logan shook his head, but unlocked the door. "Go for it. Be careful," he said.

I gave him a faint smile, but I could feel the anger inside me bubbling up inside me towards Colby. He lied to me. He promised he'd be there, and he didn't even show up to pick me up. And now he's having a party? I'll have his ass for it.

I looked down at what I was wearing. An old t shirt and shorts. I would stand out at a party. But either way, I came with an agenda I have to finish. And this time I might not be so forgiving.

Truth is, it hurts. It sounds childish, but I wanted Colby to come see me play. I wanted him to congratulate me and hold my hand and kiss me, like he did at my Little Red Riding Hood concert. Telling Gerald Brown that he knew I was "one in a million". I loved him so much in that moment. And I knew he loved me too.

Since when did a party become more important to than me?

It shattered my heart into a million pieces. And I wanted him to be sorry. I wanted him to hug me and tell me he was sorry. And that he loves me.

I need this to blow over with a forgettable apology and a kiss.

But I don't think that'll happen this time.

I looked up at the house and took a deep breath, before glancing back at Logan, who was watching me. I turned back and started to walk up towards the mansion. The windows were shaking, the bass was pumping so loud.

I opened the door, looking around. There were people everywhere, and the smell of weed and beer hit me so hard it nauseated me.

I looked around the corridor, scanning for Colby. I'll check every downstairs room first. I stepped into the kitchen, and immediately coughed as some vale smoke was blown into my face. I waved it away, and timidly called, "Colby...?"

Just as I escaped the cloud, I bumped into someone. "Sorry," I muttered, and tried to continue on. "Oh, hey, Rose!" An excited voice said. I looked up to see none other than Corey.

"Corey, thank god," I said with a sigh of relief. "Have you seen Colby? I really need to talk to him," I said. Keeping my tone light and airy so he wouldn't think anything was wrong. It's none of Corey's business, frankly, and I'll figure out what to do once Colby and I talk this over. Once I rip him a new one, really.

"Colby? No. Not for an hour or two. Did you just get here?" He asked, giving me a quick look up and down, "You don't look dressed for a party..."

"Well, I didn't know there was a party," I said with a bit of an annoyed chuckle. "I had a concert tonight. One Colby didn't show to. I'm lucky I had a friend to take me home," I said, crossing my arms and raising my eyebrows. "Now, where is Colby?" I asked.

He gave me an uncomfortable, weak smile. "I don't know. Check the living room... or his room. He's the life of the party, so I can't imagine him not being present."

I shrugged a bit, and walked past Corey towards the living room. There was a sudden uproar around me, but not towards me. There was a game of beer pong, and on the side of table farthest from me, I saw Sam's golden head of hair.

Surely where he is, there's Colby.

I was wrong. He's nowhere insight, and Sam looked too busy for me to bother him. So I sighed and turned to continue looking.

I searched through the loud crowds for almost half an hour, all the while becoming overwhelmed by all the noises and smells. It took me back to the dark confines of my mind.

Colby stood you up because he's probably a lot happier here with another girl. Some prettier girl you could never compare to.

Doubtful. I'll find him, he'll have a valid reason for not going, I'll be mad for a little while, but we'll ultimately stay together. It's nearly 10:30pm now, on December 8th.

I don't have time to think about the final hours I have to make my decision on whether or not I'll go to Juilliard.

Maybe that's what I should be focusing on, but either way, I have to find him. And since I've already established he's no where else in the house, I started to make my way up the stairs to his bedroom.

Maybe he passed out drunk.

Maybe.

I walked down the hallway towards his bedroom, and I turned to the right and placed my hand on the doorknob, but stopped myself before turning it.

Tread lightly.

I heard a noise I couldn't quite place from inside, and in one moment, I pushed the door inward and looked around the dark room.

And I stopped. Suddenly all my senses narrowed, and I heard an all to familiar voice call out, and shuffling in the bed. Colby reached up and blocked his eyes from the light.

Just as Elena pulled the sheets over her naked body.

My arms finally fell to my sides, and my entire world stopped turning, and suddenly, Colby, Elena, and I are the only people in it.

I sucked in a hard breath, just as the tears came to my eyes. A lump formed in my throat, and I took a hard turn to leave, another force taking over my body and forcing me to. Flight.

My heart shattered into a billion pieces.

I heard movement behind me, just as Colby called, "Rose? Rose! Wait!" He yelled. I was already almost to the stairs by the time he came behind me, in only a pair of shorts. He grabbed me by my upper arm, hard. "Rose!" He yelled, but a Phantom came over me as tears began to stream from my eyes two at a time. I took my hand back, and as hard as I could, I brought it down on his right cheek. He looked at me in complete and utter shock.

"Leave me alone!" I yelled, and just as I did, I slipped the ring off my finger and flung it to the ground in front of me. I padded down the stairs and through the party without saying anything to anyone, nor stopping for anything or anyone.

See? I told you. I was right.

I'm always right.

I stormed outside, crying hard. Logan was where I left him. He got out when he saw me crying, and he looked over at me with a slight panic on his face. He was trying to keep his cool, for me. "Rose? What happened?" He asked, coming toward me. I moved past him and opened the car door, and just got inside. Logan watched me for a moment, just as I looked up and saw Colby standing on the porch. He paused, seeing me with Logan, before he started to come towards us. "Rose!" He called again. Logan got in before he got close, and he drove us away.

"What happened?" Logan asked. "He cheated on me. Colby cheated on me," I said, and it came out in an exasperated, sad sob. I leaned over my legs, and let myself cry more, breaking down a bit.

Then I stopped myself, and took out my phone. "Well, do you want to come to my apartment tonight?" He asked. "No. Take me home." I answered shortly, as I opened my starred email folder.

I clicked Gerald Brown's, and I begin to write a short acceptance letter.