~138~

At school the next day, I wasn't able to focus.

I sat down at my desk in my music composition class, and I pushed my hair behind my ear and stared at the fake wood as more people came in. It was hard to think about anything besides Colby.

My heart aches for him. Burns. And I feel so unbelievably guilty, considering the plans Logan and I have tonight. A date in Central Park. He's bringing his dog. I'm lying to him, aren't I? Leading him on? I'm a horrible person. God, I'm a horrib-

"Rose?" a voice I barely recognized asked. I looked up to see my professor, Mrs. Thatcher. I pushed my hair behind my ear. "Yes?" I asked, breaking out of it. Even though my head was still spinning and I felt like I might throw up.

"Everything okay?" she asked, sitting on the edge of my table. "I'm fine. Just got a lot on my mind," I said. The woman's old, wise eyes were hard to lie to. "Just some things I thought I was leaving behind in Los Angeles. They weren't that ready to be forgotten, I guess," I said. She shook her finger at me. "Ah-ah-ah. Don't say such things, sweetheart. We never forget anything, we just choose not to think about it. Well, sometimes. Sometimes I really forget composer's names. But we don't forget people, because I'm sure that's what you're getting at."

I just paused, looking down. I pushed my hair behind my ear. She gently put her hand on mine and said, "Now, I have a really big favor to ask you," she said, standing up from off my desk. "What?" I asked, turning my phone off and putting it in my backpack.

"Professor Ling  told me you were a fantastic pianist. Aren't you on a full ride? Come from the University of LA?" She asked. I nodded, deciding not to speak so I don't sound narcissistic in anyway. It's really easy to when you talk about your achievements. "Good, then are you busy tonight? I need the biggest favor," she said.

"Well, what is it?" I asked again. She finally said, "I know it's short notice, but a friend of mine is the conductor for a pit orchestra for a local broadway show. Their pianist just quit, and he's begging me to find someone to play piano for them. You're the first person to come to mind. Do you like musicals?" She asked. She tends to ramble. "I know some people find them annoying."

Colby never let me listen to musicals in the car. He found them annoying. I'm just glad he let my classical music slide.

I smiled, just for a moment, reminiscing about the time Colby admitted to trying to impress me and learn the titles to a bunch of my favorite classical songs.

Then I was smiling because of this opportunity. "Of course. I'd love to do that. For how long?" I asked. She shrugged. "I don't know, until they find another pianist. I'm not sure if they'll want to take a college student full time," she paused, "but maybe, since you're a piano virtuoso."

I smiled at her and said, "That sounds fantastic. Where do I need to be and when?" I asked. After she gave me the details, I finally remembered the most important one. "What musical?" I asked. I hope it's one I know. That way it won't exactly be a cold read.

She was already distracted by the full room of students, so she didn't hear me. Even after class it was hard to get her attention. So I decided to just let it surprise me on Broadway at 6pm.

I held a phone to my ear as I walked towards the practice rooms, waiting for Logan to pick up. These practice rooms were extraordinary, I tell you, when you go in, it's so quiet and still that you're almost the only person in the world. You can't hear anything on the outside, but once one of the only rooms with a piano was taken and a boy inside was playing a jazz piece. He flirted with me when he came out, but I was more interested in getting back to a Beethoven, Dance of the Elves. Point is, I could hear what he was playing. And he wasn't that good, his hands were long and lanky, so he was obviously a native saxophone player.

I sat down in front of the piano and tarted to rehearse a finals piece, still Dance of the Elves, the Johann de Meij arrangement. It's a fun piece that I transcribed to be played on piano, since it's usually played by a sax or horn.

"Woah. A broadway musical? That's great, Rose! Are you getting paid for it?" He asked. "It would be great while you find another job. Or you take that one!"

"I think so, but I don't know how much. Logan, can you go back to my place and check on Mama? Poor baby is probably lonely. And hungry. Don't let her run off. Or actually, I can let Alan-"

"I got it, Rose, don't worry," he said. We talked for a few more minutes before he told me good luck and hung up. He would come over with Chinese take-out later.

I was happy, practicing, I had forgotten all about my troubles. That was, until, my phone buzzed, and Colby's name appeared on my phone: How are you?

I paused, and I immediately picked up my phone. I started to write a reply. The best thing happened.

I erased it and tried again.

Great.

He texted back. I'm glad. :)