~61~

My hands grazed across the keys, relying on muscle memory since my mind went elsewhere.

Kai meant what he said, I know it. Colby would be so mad if he knew I went "out" with him again.

It's the morning after, the day of my concert. The day I get to see Colby after a few weeks. I sigh softly as I stop, dragging my hands off the keys. I don't even know where I am in the song.

I had talked to Elena about it. She knew all about how much I had liked Kai before I met Colby, then when I hated him for touching me and trying to get with me... and now how I've forgiven him.

Kai and I talked for a little while afterwards, he had called me and told me about how he was sorry for bringing me out and embarrassing him in front of all those people.

I didn't mind.

It's a Saturday, and Mr. Ling told me not to practice too much. Bad luck for the real performance. But I can't go without playing, I have to practice at least every day. My mother told me that if I want to get good at something I have to work at it everyday. And after all, Mr. Ling didn't say not to practice at all... a few run-throughs won't hurt.

Elena has said that she was surprised he'd apologized. "I didn't think he was the apologizing type of guy," she had said.

Colby didn't call or text me last night, which was weird for him. I checked his social media for updates, but there was nothing there either.

Now it was almost noon, my concert in six hours, and I still don't know where he is or if he's still coming to the concert tonight. He'd promised, and I want him there. I want him to see what I'm really capable of, but I also just want to see him...

Almost as if he had read my mind, my phone rang. I picked it up eagerly and saw it was Colby, and I slid to answer. I held my phone to my ear and composed myself before saying, "Hello?"

"Hey," he said nonchalantly, acting as if he hadn't got my call and text from a few hours ago.

"Have you started the show yet?" I asked as I stood up and went to my bed to lay down. "No, we're about to. Some girls found us, had to talk for a while. I swear I would've called you," he said.

"I'm nervous," I said a second after he spoke. "For what, baby?" He asked. I've never been a fan of pet names, but it didn't bother me so much now.

"The concert, duh!" I said. How could he forget, it's only the biggest concert that could make our break my whole music career!

"Well I know," he said through a chuckle.

Oh.

Must be my nerves.

"What I meant was, what are you nervous for? You're the most talented and beautiful person I've ever met. And I used person so you could know you're the best of all people, not just boys or girls or whatever in between," he said with a small yawn after he finished.

I smiled at that. "Well I'm glad I have your support. Are you still coming to the concert?" I asked.

"Wouldn't miss it for anything," he said, then right after he said to someone off the line. "My girlfriend," he said, then there was a few seconds of pause. "Well of course I said girlfriend, that's what she is."

Pause.

"Shut up, Sam," he said through a laugh, "She's my girlfriend, I like her a lot. A lot. She isn't like the others," he said. I smiled at that and closed my eyes as I listen to him talk.

"Anyway, Rose?" He asked. "Hm?" I hummed as I opened my eyes again and sat up. "Take it easy today. You and Elena go out to eat or something. Don't go crazy stressing over your concert," he said. "I had to call you and make sure you weren't going to."

"I'm not," I said through a chuckle. He smiled, I could tell by the way he talked. "Fantastic. And hey... there's a party tonight," he said. My heart dropped at that.

I hate parties. They mix two of my least favorite things: alcohol and loud noises.

Maybe if Colby is there- sober- it'll be okay. And he won't get drunk around me, he knows I don't like it from the time we went to Coachella.

Coachella! That's right, I made it through Coachella and I actually had a pretty good time... so I'm sure I could handle some party.

"You want to go, don't you?" I asked with a chuckle. "It's at Brennen's, you met Brennen," he said, but it sounded like he was trying to reassure himself more than me. He must've thought he would have to convince me.

"Okay. As long as it's after the concert," I said, which I'm sure it would be. No party starts at six o'clock pm.

"Phew. Great, we'll have a great time," he said, breathing a sigh of relief. "I'm ready to see you," I said without much thought. It didn't matter, I knew he wouldn't care. He probably misses me more than I miss him.

"I can't wait to see my gorgeous girl again. It's been a long time."