~60~

(TW: sexual assault)

Wow, 300k was a great timing for my first day of school! That's why this chapter is so late...

Kai waited next to my piano patiently for me to pack my things and leave with him.

I trust him. I think. The look in his eye when he asked me to coffee made me feel... pity for him. Even though I had forgiven him for what he tried to do to me, I still had a bit of distaste for him. Never met his eyes in class, changed my routes to get to my other classes to avoid him.

He seems genuine. And I trust myself to be able to protect myself. After all, forceful men aren't something I'm new to.

I put my backpack on and looked up at him, pulling my hair over my shoulder. "I'll drive?" He asked, almost shyly, spinning the key around his finger. Even if I had forgiven him and I want to give him a second chance, I don't trust him that much. "No, I'll drive. We can use my gas," I said with a chuckle as I pushed my hair back out of my face.

His tense frame relaxed a bit when I chuckle, seeing that I'm not mad at him. I give him a small, friendly smile before I nod for him to follow me.

I bring him out to my car and I unlock it, placing my bag in the back seat as I get in. He got in next to me, backing the seat up a lot since that's where Elena sits, and she's shorter than me.

I pushed my hair behind my ear and began to drive. "The good coffee shop outside of campus?" I asked as I looked over at him and he nodded. It was weird to see Kai Coleman so closed off. He's always been Mr. popular, especially with girls, so him being so awkward... made me feel awkward.

"I see you're as good on the piano as ever," he said with a slight chuckle. I pushed my hair back and smiled at him, starting to regret my decision. I just want him not to be so tense, it made me tense. "Always will be," I said.

I pulled up to the coffee shop and got out with him, going inside. The barista across the counter gave him a smirk, he is a good looking man- but not better than Colby.

I wish I could give her a subtle warning to keep her distance.

I ordered myself a sweet tea and he paid, not even asking if I wanted to. This is his apology after all. I took my tea and he led me to a table, then we sat down and there were a few beats of awkward silence.

"Let me get this straight," he said after about ten seconds. "I'm so sorry, and I'm not saying that because Colby said I had to. I'm sorry. Really sorry, Rose," he said, using his hands and starting to ramble.

I shook my head and place my hands back on the table. "I'm not mad. I forgave you," I say softly and take a sip of my drink.

I saw him physically relax. "Really? You aren't just saying that?" He asked quickly as he ran his hand through his hair. His nervous tick. He always did it before a big concert.

I nodded, offering nothing more. After a few seconds he asked, "You want to know what happened with the little chat Colby and I had, huh..." he asked as he stared at his hands.

I just nodded again.

He sighed and said, "He beat the sit out of me. I'm lucky he took off his rings, it hurt even without them," he said with a chuckle, an embarrassed one.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. We talked for a little while, and he interrogated me... and of course I had that cocky attitude- I don't know how I ever thought my dick was that big!" He said without a bit of remorse for the way he put it.

"He... he put me into perspective. Made me realize what I had been doing to girls and left their friends and family to pick up. I'm such a dick," he said as he rubbed his face.

"So... I guess I'm trying to say I'm sorry and... thank you? Thank you for telling Colby what I did and... letting him beat reality into me."

I just started at him, surprised. When he said he wanted to say Sorry, I didn't think he would spill his soul out to me.

He teared up. "And... what I did to you... is what I did to so many others... and they didn't have a guy to beat me up for them like you did. I never raped them, but I'd touch them... and I'm so horrible..." he started to cry, holding his face.

I still didn't say anything. "So what I mean is, I'm sorry, Rose. I'm so so sorry. Please, can we be friends?" He asked as he stood up. I did too, just following his lead.

Without any regard to the people around us, he wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged me tighter than anyone- not even Colby- ever has. "Okay..." I say softly. He cried into my neck.

"Oh thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you."