~59~

To those asking about my covers: I usually go to the XPLR merch fan page on instagram and look for a picture of Colby wearing the XPLR merch, since that's the title, or a girl wearing the merch- but she has to have brown hair. And I usually cut out half or all of the face. I use the covers app for Wattpad because I'm basic.

I sat back in my car, listening to my newest favorite song, since I still had a few minutes until I had to be in class.

I took a sip of my coffee, letting my mind go elsewhere as I listened to the song. I was dreading class today, because I knew Kai and I have a sectional with Mr. Ling. I know I can tell Mr. Ling anything, but I don't think it would be a good idea to tell him about what Kai did to me.

I'm not still upset about it. I've forgiven him, I know that's important, and I'm glad that I had the chance to call Colby and go over to his house that night. Colby always knows how to make me feel better.

Stop thinking about Colby, Rose.

I can't help it. I'm crazy about him, and I'm sure he's crazy about me too.

He said he had wanted to kiss me every since he met me: he must of wanted to be with me ever since then too. I remember it, he had asked me if I was in Elena's videos, and that night Elena had gotten a new subscriber and a lot of likes on her videos. Now I hope he was watching them because I'm in them.

I looked at the time and sighed as I got up. Put on a game face and you'll be fine. I told myself. After what Colby did to Kai- I'll never really know and I only have the bruises on Colby's hands to go off of- because he was gone for about a week claiming he was sick. I think his wounds were healing, I don't think he wanted to look like a little bitch in front of all his friends. All the girls he'd prey on next.

I walk into the orchestra hall, I'm first, even better. "Hello, Mr. Ling," I sing as I sit down at my piano and take out the Rachmaninoff piece. I began to practice, it always felt nice to practice on a grand piano, not a keyboard.

My mind thought back to when we went to Coachella and we had that gorgeous piano in our sitting room. I wonder if that piano has ever been played since I played Winter's Wind on it last. I've always been a sucker for pianos. Like in old antique stores, those old pianos with brown keys that were once white, and faded intricate designs. What's its story?

"Good morning, Ms. Rose!" Mr. Ling said as I started on the concert piece. I've been pounding away at my keys at home, just trying to get every part right... but also make it my own.

Sometimes I think about my old orchestra director in high school, Mr. Casey. He was an old man who should've retired by then, but he loved teaching and music so much he decided to stay. And he loved me, he always told me I'd go to great places. He was the one who encouraged me to runaway to my piano scholarship, in fact. I thank god for him every day. He'd be proud me, seeing me now. I should give him a call one of these days... it's been two years since the last time I saw him.

I nod my hair out of my face as I get lost in my music, not even noticing Kai enter the room. My hands moved across the keys with such precision, it had to take all.

I finish the song, lifting my hand at the end. I've been practicing that just to add a little flare to it. Confidence. Grace.

Mr. Ling applauded- and so did Kai, but he was more quiet about it. He was ashamed, I could tell. Couldn't meet my eyes. There's no doubt in my mind that Colby had a talk with him, but I bet he had to make sure Kai understood my punching it into him.

I smiled at both of them, trying to show Kai I had no hard feelings. I had to be kind, even if I had been wronged. My mother had taught me that, and had made sure that I understood.

Her birthday is coming up soon. How could I have forgotten?

I pushed my depressive thoughts into the back of my mind as Kai came to his piano. "Kai, let me hear the accompanist piece."

I couldn't help but feel a little proud that I had gotten the solo piece and he was just an accompanist.

Kai started to play, but he seemed tense, his hands jerking around every now and then and hitting the wrong key, missing accidentals. It made the piece sound out of place.

He managed to get to the end and took some hard criticism from Mr. Ling, and he sighed and nodded to all of it. As soon as our small sectional had ended, Kai leaned over to me and said quietly to me, "Let me take you out for coffee, Rose. I need to apologize, but it's too long for me to tell you here."

I looked at him, a little shocked. His eyes were hard, but they seemed unsteady. "Please," he said. I pushed my hair behind my ear and offered nothing more than a nod.