~75~

PSA: I'm sane and so is Rose. I materialize different thoughts and emphasize them for effect.

"Elena?" I asked as I stood up. As if I expected her to respond. "Elena?" I asked again as I started to follow them, starting to feel myself panic.

Sam grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me back. "Rose, watch out," he said hastily as he pulled me towards him. "That's Elena! I left her at the party. I was worried about her, no wonder she wouldn't text me back!" I said, it didn't take long for tears to come to my eyes.

"Rose," Corey said calmly, "Pipe down. She'll be okay," he said. Though I can tell he was freaked out too. Sam pulled me back into my seat, and I sniffed as I watched her round the corner.

I shouldn't have left the party like that. I should've stayed and drove her home like I usually did. Was it a car accident? Did a guy try and take advantage of her, and hurt her? What if she dies? Then what will I do, my best friend would be dead.

No. Please. Don't take someone away from me again, God. It's only been five years and I'm still not over Momma.

I tried harder to listen to Sam and Corey. It will be okay. It will. After all of this, she'll be fine, apologize for the voicemail, and everything could go back to how it should be. I have a wonderful boyfriend, a promising career, and a best friend. That's how it should be.

A nurse must've seen my anguish, confusion, and fear as she made way for the stretcher. "She was in a car accident," she told me. I just watched her for a moment while Sam said, "Thank you."

The guys can leave, but I'm going to stay here.

I'll make sure it's me driving her home after this.

My leg bounced up and down, and I bit my nails nervously. The nurse said I could go see her when she's for sure stable. A tear ran down my cheek as I listened to music, trying to distract myself.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked up to see Colby. He smiled at me, but then his face changed when he saw how distraught I was. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked as he sat down next to me. I didn't say anything, but I hugged him, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him close. He didn't retaliate, he just hugged me back and rocked me a bit. I heard him quietly ask Sam, "What happened?"

"Elena got in a car accident, she came through here," he said. "Oh," was all Colby answered. Oh? Are you kidding me? She could die, I'm not a doctor but I know that she looked horrible. I know he might not like her right now, but I do, I love her. I need to stand next to her and help her.

"It's almost six am. We need to go home and get some sleep," Corey said. "You guys can go. I'm going to stay," I said as I pulled away from Colby and pulled my jacket on me more.

"I'm not leaving you here, Rose," Colby said seriously. "Then stay with me," I said nonchalantly, standing my ground nonetheless. I want to stay here with her.

"Rose, come on. We can go get something to eat, then we can go to the house and sleep for a bit. Then we'll come back and be able to see her. I know you're hungry and tired," Colby protested. He was right about the hungry part, I'm starving. And I'm so tired from crying and the lack of any sleep that a bed, with Colby, sounds awesome.

He wrapped his arm around me and leaned into my ear, his warm breath making chills come up on my neck. He kissed my cheek softly and quietly before saying, "Come on, let's go home."

I let him take my hand and pull me up. He had a cast over his hand now. "How much is the bill?" I asked. "Doesn't matter," he answered. "Not right now, anyway. Let's go home," and with that, he brought me to Sam's car and we got in the back. He wrapped his arm around me.

"Doesn't your wrist hurt?" I ask softly. "Yeah. But you need me," He whispered in my ear. I don't know if he was trying to be intimate with me or keep what he said hidden from his friends.

I didn't care. Not right now, anyway. I leaned into him and closed my eyes, immediately falling asleep. After a little while he nudged me awake. "We're here." He said.

I went upstairs, slipped off my shoes, then laid back in the bed. Colby was getting in next to me when I turned so my back was to him.

I don't want to be with him right now, but I can't be without him. My inner conflict was screaming, my rational sense and my desires clashing at each other within me.

You should be getting the apartment set up for when Elena gets home.

I should be. Maybe I should go.

But you want Colby right now.

I do.

But then, a new voice, one that feels like it always come with a certain aggression in its tone, took its place and grabbed the microphone to my thoughts.

But you know you can't handle being alone right now.

I can't.

Almost as if I thought I lost them, I reach down and touched the lines on my legs. The old off colored scars. I felt tears come to my eyes.

But you can't blame yourself for what Elena's going through. The rational voice said.

And you don't want to do that anymore. The desired added.

But you know it's coming. And there's nothing you can do to stop it. Did you think you could finally be happy?