~121~

"Home, sweet, home," Logan said as he opened the door to my brand new apartment in Washington Heights. The rent here was enough I could afford, and I never asked why Logan decided I needed an apartment in Washington Heights. We looked at apartments together, I could've moved anywhere I want, but he highly suggested the Heights. I decided to ask. 

Logan raised his eyebrows at me as if it were a stupid question. "I didn't want to be too far away if you needed me. Plus, everywhere else is pretty dangerous. Brooklyn, Queens, you know. Brooklyn would've been okay, but I figured you would've liked the Heights better anyway." 

I just stared at him for a moment, there was an all to familiar sense coming over me. I tried to fight the infatuation by thinking, That's exactly what Colby would say. I tried to disgust myself, but thinking about Colby only made me want comfort more: male comfort. 

"But hey, look at this!" Logan said, suddenly trying to cheer me up again. He pointed to a box, labeled, clothes/dresses. He gave me a big grin. 

Logan nodded his hair out of the way and sighed when I didn't respond to his enthusiasm. "Rose," he whined as he stepped towards me. He put his hands on my shoulders and he squeezed them until I looked up at him. "I hate to be harsh on you. But your mood is totally dampening my vibe. I know the whether sucks, and your ex-boyfriend sucks, but you know what doesn't suck?"

"What?"

"Unpacking your things in your brand new apartment in your big new town. Let's get to it," he said, smiling at me as he opened a box of books. "Oh, and look what I found," he said, pointing to a little book shelf that doubles as a nightstand. "Didn't cost much too. It's an antique," he said, smiling happily. It was contagious. I followed his lead and started to unpack what clothes I had into the little closet. 

There's not a lot of room in here, but I fit perfectly in it. This could be home. I could love this place. "What is there to do in New York?" I asked after a few minutes of unpacking in silence. "I have a plan on somewhere to take you this weekend, it's a surprise," he looked over his shoulder and smiled. "Wear white." 

"Is this the date you were talking about?" I asked, teasingly, but I was actually curious. "Well, it was. But now it's just a destination between two friends, me and you," he said as he picked up a new box and walked towards the little kitchen to put my things away. 

"Do you have a studio apartment too?" I asked him. He shook his head. "One bedroom, but I've been living on my own since I was seventeen. I started in a studio apartment, but I moved when I got some more money and I got a dog."

"You have a dog?" I ask with a smile. That brought back memories of Circa and Navi. Oh, how I miss them. "Yep. Bandit. He's the best in the world. He's coming on our little... "destination"," Logan said with a smile. It was starting to get dark outside, I had one window in here, and the light was slowly fading. "Do you need to go home soon? What time do the subways close?" I asked. Logan laughed at that, "The subways don't close. But you gotta be careful, there are weird people and businessmen on the subways at night." 

I chuckled. "Let's take a break for the day, Rose," he put his box down and walked back towards me. "I'm hungry, let's go find somewhere to eat." 

"I probably shouldn't, I need to save money," I said. Logan rolled his eyes, scoffing. "Chivalry isn't dead, Rose, I'll pay for it. Consider it a "welcome home" gift to New York." 

I allowed him to bring be outside and into the subway. He said the diner he was bringing me to was a surprise as well. 

"Hole in the wall restaurants are the best ones. They're usually pretty cheap too," he said. "Can't I just cook from home?" I asked. "You could. But it won't be as good as this diner," Logan said, stretching so his arm rests on the back of my chair. There weren't near as many people on this car as there was three hours ago. 

Logan closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the window. The gentle sway of the subway was calming, like a crib for New Yorkers. I watched him for a minute. How can he seem so calm here? How has he done all of this on his own for four years? 

"Logan?" I asked. "Hm?" he hummed, not opening his eyes to look down at me. "Thank you," I said. It was stupid of me, and I know it, but I rested my head on his shoulder. I felt him tense up a bit, but then he relaxed and his arm slowly made his way around my shoulder. "For what?" he asked. I looked down at the ground before closing my eyes as well. "Just looking out for me." 

He chuckled. "What kind of friend would I be if I didn't?" he asked. "Mr. Ling told me to give you my number for when you got to New York. I didn't think you would actually come," he said. I looked up at him still. 

"Why not?"

"You loved your boyfriend. I know what it's like to have to decide between a significant other and your career." 

"How did you choose?" 

"She and I got in a fight. I was spending way too much time on music, something like that. I was eighteen. Then she broke up with me and moved out the next day." 

"That's kind of harsh," I said. "I don't miss her.  I mean, I did at first, but she was uncultured. She didn't know good music, anyway. Not like you do," he said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes sarcastically, and I was about to pull away when his arm brought me closer. 

Goddammit, Rose. Stop it. Stop now. 

My phone rang. Logan opened his eyes, he must've felt it as well. He raised his eyebrows, beckoning me to get it. Colby's calling me. 

I just ended the call. 

"Do you want me to talk to him?" he asked. I just put my phone back in my back pocket. "No."