~111~

Tired. Stressed. You guys know. Thanks for bearing with me.

I dropped Rudy off at his elementary school. It was my school when I was younger.

I insisted that I could at least do that much while I was staying with Jenny and her son, especially since one thing on my agenda today is to go to my old high school.

I have 12ish more days to kill, what else am I gonna do?

I pushed my short hair behind my ear as I pulled up to my old high school, staring at it for a few moments. If I thought hard enough, I could still see my high school student self sitting outside on the sidewalk and reading through music. That made me smile.

My phone started to ring. Hesitantly, I picked it up. Colby called me last night, right as I was trying to go to bed. I didn't answer, and I got another voicemail.

But this morning, it was Logan. I answered and placed the phone to my ear. "Hey," He said. He must be somewhere busy, since I could hear other voices behind him. "Good morning," I said as I leaned back against my seat and watched where some band kids were rehearsing some marching show. Considering it's Christmas time, it was out of the ordinary, but you know. Band kids.

"What are you doing today?" He asked. I pulled out of my parking spot and began to drive around. Knowing Logan, he'll want to talk for a while. Not that I don't mind, but sitting outside a school for an extended amount of time could make me look suspicious.

"I'm going to go visit my old school," I said, just strolling down the old streets I used to roam. "I can't wait for you to get down here," he said. "I'm nervous. Plus, that's going to be such a long plane ride..."

"You'll survive," he said with a chuckle. "Just download some music. I know the stuff you listen to is like... twenty minutes long anyway."

I laughed a bit at that. "You're right," I said, leaning back in my seat and turning the radio down a bit more. "Hey..." he started, "I've been meaning to ask you something."

That made me sit up a bit straighter. "Uh oh," I said, which he quickly followed up with, "No, no "uh ohs", it's not a big deal. I've just been... thinking, a lot, you know?" he started.

"Just say it," I commanded.

He sighed. "When you get to New York... can I show you around? I mean, of course I would but I meant... as... as a date," he said. I could hear in his voice that he was nervous.

When he mentioned a date, the first thing that came to my mind was when Colby asked me out for the first time, on a real "date-date". That memory split my heart in two. He took me to see the California Symphony. He asked me to be his girlfriend in the middle of a Tchaikovsky piece.

Logan must've sensed my sudden mood change, and he said, "W-wait, it's not like you have to! I don't want to make you uncomfortable. You know I never want to do that, just.. forget I ever said anything, alright?" he said, and I could feel the sigh in his voice.

"I'm sorry," I said, "it's just... the whole thing with Colby, lately..."

"I know. I'm so stupid for reminding you of all that. You should be enjoying your family," he said. I thought for a few moments while he was speaking.

"Maybe one day," I said, "but I still need some time to get over Colby."

In my heart, though, I know it's not that easy to forget your first love.

Who am I kidding? I couldn't forget Colby even if I poured bleach down my ears, hoping it would reach my brain.

I walked into the front office, pushing my hair behind my ear as I stepped into the building. I hope there's still some secretaries who'll remember me. I was famous among the staff, brilliant pianist, brilliant student.

"I'm here to visit Mr. Dawson," I said as I stared down the woman across the glass from me. I only stared at her because she stared back. "Name?" she asked. I recognized her, but for the love of God I couldn't remember her name. "Rose Romano," I answered, passing my driver's license through the slot under the window.

"Rose Romano?" I heard someone behind the secretary say. There was my old principal. He smiled, coming around the greet me. "Why are you here? I thought you were studying in California!" he said. "I'm transferring," I answered, giving him a quick, polite side hug. But I was still very aware of his eyes going everywhere but mine. Knowing him, it's right up his alley that an old student of his isn't a minor anymore. It made me put a few steps between us. "I got transferred to New York City, I'm studying piano at Juilliard. I'm here to visit my family before I go, and I figured I would stop in to see my old teacher."

"Mr. Dawson?"

"Mr. Dawson."

"He has a class right now, the Chamber Orchestra," he said, I walked past him and pressed on my temporary ID. "Then I'll be interested to meet their new pianist," I said.

I walked down the old orchestra hall hallway. Everything was just as it used to be. The walls were lined with frames, showcasing the many achievments in fine arts the school has achieved. So many marching band contests. Right above the doors, was one picture I had never seen before. An image of me, wearing a black dress, and Mr. Dawson. My senior solo debut.

I got my offer to my old school that night.

Dad said I better not take it, but I did.

Best decision of my life.

I knocked on the door once I heard the orchestra stop playing, and it was only a few moments before a bass player came and opened the door. Mr. Dawson was still talking, expecting me to be a student, but all of the actual students stared at me, making Mr. Dawson turn around.

The old man stared for a moment before he grinned excitedly. "Rose?" He asked, and he stepped off his podium and gave me a bear hug I didn't expect. Mr. Dawson was always the cool teacher, the one you could consider your friend before your teacher. He wanted everyone to like him, and he succeeded.

"What are you doing here?" he asked once he pulled away. I just chuckled at the sudden onslaught of attention and said, "I figured I'd pop in for a visit."

Everyone just stared at us still, until there were some whispers. Mr. Dawson turned to his ensemble and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, this girl right here is the greatest musician to have ever graced these halls!"