~117~

I hummed along to the theme of Jazz Waltz Suite No. 2, we played that piece my sophomore year. It was always Mr. Dawson's favorite.

I wore my white dress, the same one I wore for my Little Red Riding Hood concert, the same concert I got my offer to Juilliard for.

I had talked to some of my other friends from the music program at UCLA, and they all told me the same thing, that they weren't offered anything by Gerald Brown. When I told Mr. Ling about this, and I'll admit, I was pretty boastful and proud of myself even if I kept all the bragging to myself. Mr. Ling said he had pulled some strings to get a scout to come and see my performance. I still thinking about that before every performance.

"I'm nervous," Paisley whispered to me, rubbing her hand down her dress. "Well don't do that, it'll make your palms sore. And come on, you weren't scared to play with your orchestra, were you?" I asked, smiling at her as I wrapped an arm around her shoulders to offer what little comfort I knew how to give.

She gave me a sweet smile. "This has been a dream come true, Rose. Thanks for doing this with me," she said, wrapping her arm around my waist in a friendly embrace, since my arm was on top. I nodded. "Of course. And you look beautiful," I complimented. She smiled at me, looking down at her dark blue dress. For everyone else, they were all in long black dresses, but we got the luxury to choose. Do you know how many girls I've seen trip already, and sweaty boys who forget to take their mute off their violin and tighten their ties? Too many to count. I don't miss high school.

The final orchestra finished their piece with a flourish, and they all stood while Mr. Dawson bowed. I let go of Paisley in order to applaud, and she did the same. She gripped her music tight in her hands and said, "Okay... this is it.." she said.

"This is it," I echoed as I nodded for her to follow me to the edge of the curtain. Mr. Dawson took up the microphone. "Our next performance is very special to me. As some of you may know, nearly two years ago, a wonderful musician graduated from our ranks here at Kleinwood High School. Rose Romano."

People applauded.

I smiled.

Paisley said, "I can't do this," and she looked like she might cry. I turned around, and I saw the worried expression on her face. This girl is so young, this might be her first performance. I'd been performing on big stages since I was eleven years old, I never really experienced this kind of fear, stage freight.

I'd felt it in other ways though.

I know what it's like to freeze up, to not know how to react. To cry, to be scared.

I turned back to her, and I leaned down a little to be eye level with her, just as a tear streamed from her cheek. "Everyone gets scared. For everything," I told her. "You know, this might be a little too much information," I whispered, just as Mr. Dawson's introduction was lost in space and time.

"But my boyfriend cheated on me. With my best friend. Not even two weeks ago. That's how I ended up in Oregon again in the first place. And you know what? In a way, I'm kind of glad he did. If he hadn't, I would've been too scared to do long distance and leave him in California, because I was really scared. I wouldn't have met such a gorgeous and talented musician if he hadn't cheated on me," I said, putting my hands on her shoulders as I let my tone of voice fall into a more serious mood.

"All musicians get scared. But we get out there, and we play anyway! Music loves us. We love music. And the only way for us to show it, show music, show everyone, is if we get out there and proclaim it to the whole world!" I said, giving her the brightest smile I could. "Now come on, I'm a professional, but I can't play a four hand duet. We got this," I said.

She just gave me a quick nod, and I turned without hesitation and walked onto the stage as the crowd applauded us. I waved for a moment, just as I sat at the piano, opening the music and placing it on the stand. Paisley joined me moments later. I looked over at her, and I smiled. "We've got this," I whispered.

I gave a quick hum to count us off. It started with the both of us playing long cords together, and I smiled at her as I started to rock with the music. It took until we were well into the main melody for her to finally relax and play with me. And I didn't mean just press down buttons in the right order, I meant really play with me. We moved together, rocking to the same beat. Flowing the same energy, the same chemistry with the music.

I spared a look at the crowd, only for a moment. Rudy's out there somewhere, watching. Probably hunched over his seat. I hope he likes his lessons from Paisley.

I'll miss that boy.

We finished the four and a half minute solo, finishing the duet with my final beat followed by hers. I looked at the keys.

My heartthrobed with love for the music. My bones felt as if they were full of helium and the tips of my fingers were numb. This is what it's all about. This is what I was born to do.

I looked up at Paisley, and she was gleaming. She was looking past me, at the audience.

She must feel just as I do.

I stayed after until late. Until after everyone was gone. Turns out, I was loved by all of the orchestra students, and they all wanted to congratulate me. One senior asked me out. Which I thought was gutsy, but I said no. Maybe if I hadn't just gotten out of a breakup, wasn't leaving in two days, and he were just a bit taller, I would've said yes.

Paisley said a heart felt goodbye and thank you to me. I got her phone number, that way I could tell her all about Juilliard and New York City like she asked.

I left out to the parking lot, alone, since Mr. Dawson had to lock the other exits. I pulled my coat tighter around my shoulders, and I was so focused on what was right in front of me that I didn't see the car parked next to mine until I heard its door shut.

I looked up, and I saw a familiar silhouette.

There he was, like a dream. Maybe even a nightmare.

Colby left one hand in his pocket, and his other held a bouquet of irises. He stood tall, and confident as ever.