Chapter 9- Competitors

Edited 10/27/2022

The UA Sports festival was about to begin and the first thing you heard was Midnight calling Katsuki's name.

"Katsuki? Why is she calling him to the stage?" You asked Kirishima to your right. Katsuki was already making his way to the stage, in front of thousands of people in the stands and the millions watching on television. You suddenly felt very exposed. Kirishima noticed this and lightly fist bumped your shoulder to stop your unease.

"Hey it's gonna be okay (y/n). You're super strong and cool. You're gonna do great. Katsuki is up there cause he got the highest score on the hero exam so he's technically the first year rep. Cool huh?" You readily agreed and the red haired boy gave you a spikey smile back. All eyes were on Katsuki Bakugo and the boy looked as relaxed as ever despite having the stage to himself.

You envied that strength. This type of attention was just too much.

"I just wanna say...that I'm gonna win." His rugged voice broke out in the microphone to the world, declaring that he will be the champion. Everyone was immediately up in arms about him saying that, the students all booing and yelling things at Katsuki. As he turned to leave the stage, his red eyes caught yours, sending you a cocky smirk. Your cheeks felt warm and you placed your hands on them as if to cool them off. Ochaco quickly took notice and it took everything in her not to squeal.

Katsuki returned to his position next to you, nearly entirely focused on the announcement of the first task. He kept stealing glances at you and your face, wondering why all of a sudden he could see more of your pretty features. Pretty was exactly the word he thought as he saw your whole face, the ribbon holding your hair back.

Midnight stole his attention from you as she listed off the first type of task you all had to do. The roulette on the screen was triggered, spinning until it landed on one statement.

Obstacle Race

"With my quirk, this won't be hard," you spoke out loud to both Katsuki and Kirishima. The latter seemed energized by the idea of healthy competition.

"I have to say you do have an advantage here. Lucky you," Kirishima said with that ever pleasant look on his face. Katsuki's expression practically screamed that he was annoyed with Kirishima stealing your attention away. The brat was acting like a five year old all day now.

"As if I'm gonna lose to you. It's on, Extra." You sent Katsuki your biggest and brightest smile, one that seemed to glow like the stars in the sky. 

He was just as entranced.

"Bring it on Kacchan. To the finals right?" He gave you a soft smile, one that you were completely unexpecting.

"To the finals." Midnight interrupted your banter with your friends by getting ready to announce the beginning of the race. You were all lined up and ready to go...and you knew this was one task you could demolish most of the classes with.

"Ready...BEGIN!" Everyone sprinted towards the exit of the large coliseum type stadium they were in, you included. Pushing, shoving, stepping was all everyone experienced...except you had a quirk that allowed you to go through people and took far less energy than teleporting. Your eyes were glowing red as you activated ghost, sprinting through your rivals and heading down the pathway the race followed. The only person in front of you was Todoroki which was expected with his quirk. You were content with this until you remembered what All Might said.

Do your best. 

"My best huh? Time to show Kacchan what I'm really made of," you declared to yourself as you sprinted across the pathway as fast as you could, making it just a few seconds behind Todoroki. The half and half boy knew you were gaining on him. With the sound of explosions going off, you could tell Katsuki was heading towards you quickly too.