Chapter 67- Breaking Down and Out

Katsuki held you tightly in his arms, feeling a sense of victory unlike any other. There was an unmistakable rush from saving you that he had never felt before in hero work. As a child, he admired All Might more than even his own father, not to any fault of Masaru but simply due to the exemplary status of the Symbol of Peace. Katsuki admired All Might's ability to win every battle he fought without ever really needing help, his strength and raw power that came with each of his attacks, the fear in the villains' eyes as they watched him arrive on scene...

...but today he finally understood the addictive joy that comes with saving someone's life...especially if that someone was the person he loved most.

Katsuki aced every physical exam...he could defeat any opponent in his class...he was the most admired and feared future hero among his peers, even recognized by those who were deemed his competitors. 

And yet, he failed his search and rescue exam...he fell behind the rest of 1-A with exception of Shoto...he wasn't a good enough hero to actually save someone. 

"I...I can't believe it...you really came for me...you saved me...oh, Katsuki...thank you! Thank you!" To hear those words of encouragement and love from you of all people had erased all of his doubts and worries. He wasn't beneath Deku and the rest of 1-A. None of those tests mattered. What mattered was that he risked his career and his life to save you when he could have relied on someone else to. He did what All Might would have done...and he succeeded. To everyone that ever doubted him, including himself, Katsuki felt vindicated of his true heroic nature.

"Let's get out of here (y/n). I'll protect you. I got you baby," His voice was low and soft in a way that warmed your heart more than any flame or fire. You felt safe and secure...you truly felt that an angel had swept you up in their arms to guide you back to light...to peace...to a painless world.

 However, reality remained, and this existence was a brutal one.

Tremors shook the concrete walls of the maze-like basement; explosions and fights from the other side of the Yakuza property shook the entire foundation. Even though Katsuki was careful, he still stumbled a bit while holding you. You gripped his uniform in terror, pressing yourself to him as tightly as possible.

"Shh...it's okay. I'm right here. I won't let anyone hurt you," Katsuki spoke with scarlet eyes that almost seemed to glow in the low light. 

"Bakugo! We need to move!" Shoto called out from the hall. The half and half boy spotted you in Katsuki's arms and noticed how frail you looked with a body that didn't even seem like your own. It whisked the air away from him for a moment. Katsuki gritted his teeth and started jogging with you in his arms, noting that he would be unable to use his quirk while holding you if he had to. The three of you tried to head back the way you came, but whatever external fight that was going on was starting to make the basement fall apart. Chunks of the ceiling were disintegrating, metal poles became exposed, lights were shattering...whatever was happening was destroying this facility and it wouldn't be long until everyone was buried underground.

"Hey! Did you guys get (y/n)?" Shinso called into his ear piece. Todoroki responded affirmatively, leading Shinso to state his concern. "We gotta get out of here. Our side is falling apart but Hawks and I got separated from this big ass piece of rubble. I'll meet you by the entrance." Katsuki and Todoroki heard the worry in Shinso's voice and elected to hustle as fast as they could. When the trio rounded the corner, they noticed that shards of thick ice were scattered on the floor...one of the tremors cracking and releasing the porcupine villain that was trapped. Shoto's eyes went wide as he immediately drew up a wall of ice to deflect an incoming attack.

"YOU LITTLE BASTARDS!" A thunderous voice of rage echoed in the shaking walls while a massive hulking arm came and demolished the wall of ice. Katsuki and Shoto gasped at how much larger the man was...and his body looked morphed between the scorch marks, frostbite, and whatever quirk enhancement drug he must have taken. A glass vial was crushed under the villain's feet as he stormed towards you and the boys...Katsuki clenching onto you a little bit tighter as Shoto guarded. No matter how much ice or fire Todoroki threw at the guy, the force of it was never strong enough to send him falling back.