Chapter 72- Lantern in the Dark

Sitting in an office waiting to be called into the therapist's room was absolutely nerve-wracking for you. Your hands were shaking and your lips were quivering as memories of what The Doctor would do to you replayed in your mind. Endeavor sat next to you with his hulking figure contrasting to your small form. His arms were crossed with a blank expression on his face, but he glanced over to you to see your shivering body. At first, he thought you were cold, so he raised the temperature of the room by using his quirk minus the flames, but after a few seconds of the room at a clearly more than temperate temperature, he concluded that you were shivering out of fear.

"You alright?" He asked you with soft cyan eyes. You gave a slight nod but it was clear with your bit lip and shaking hands that you were far from okay. Ensure what to do to help rid your nerves, Enji thought back to Fuyumi and Rei...

When Fuyumi was five years old and was preparing for her first year of school, her little pasty legs were wobbled in nerves, round glasses protruding in comparison to her snowy hair with soft red streaks. Enji grasped her hand in his and walked her to her class, her once taut expression transforming into a smile and gleam in her gray eyes.

Another was when Rei was about to walk down the aisle, the then young woman pacing in circles in her dressing room as she held her bouquet of tiger lilies with an iron grip. Without looking, Enji had sensed her fears and reached his hand through the crack of the door...a cool, yet soft touch caressing his own.

It's been years since he had gone out of his way to extend his hand to genuinely help someone despite baring the title 'Pro-Hero', but you always seemed to push Enji to extremes.

His hand laid open with the palm facing upwards...and you felt a semblance of pride for the man as you snaked your own hand to lay against his. Just as he comforted his daughter when she walked to school for the first time, Enji Todoroki would be the one to guide you to a better, brighter future with him as your stark defender.

"Let's see...Todoroki?" An assistant called out of the doorway while holding a clipboard. Enji's massive grip tightened just for a moment to reassure you and he led the way towards the room. Like a stray cat entering a home for the first time, you were heavily invested in your surroundings. Everything from the muted carpeted floor, leather reclining chairs, the two person matching sofa, and inspirational posters were immediately engrained into your mind. A woman that could not have been older than fifty sat in a bright canary yellow cardigan with a pleasant expression on her face to match her overall plain appearance. The traditional white button up blouse and pencil skirt were business staples, but that happy sweater along with bright cherry red glasses truly set her apart. She stood up to greet you and Enji with a firm handshake, but you only contemplated touching her hand after looking at your boss for confirmation that she was safe.

"(y/n) was it? It's okay, you don't need to shake my hand if it makes you uncomfortable. I will ask you to take a seat if that's okay? You two can even sit together if that is what you prefer." Her voice was gentle and peaceful like a summer breeze, but you just couldn't bring yourself to trust her just yet from appearance alone.

"Thank you for having us. I promise (y/n) would say the same but she is going through some challenges right now," Enji spoke with a slight bow of his head as he led you to sit next to him on the couch. She waived it off with a smile on her glossed lips.

"No need to explain. To get started and properly introduce myself, my name is Dr. Hanako and I have a PhD from Tokyo U in Psychology with a focus in trauma and abuse. What this means for you is that I've adapted my program specicially for those who have been affected by villains, heroes, or quirk abuse. I would like to start off our relationship together by building trust and then, when you feel the thoughts start to creep on you, you are free to speak whenever about anything you believe should come off your chest. This applies to both of you. I will ask occassional questions but this is simply a conversation...no need to act formal, professional, or censor yourself at all. So (y/n)...how about you tell me a little about yourself? Anything you feel comfortable saying to start is totally fine."