Chapter 69- The Melodies of Life

Being in your room for the first time in weeks was therapeutic in the best of ways. The scent of lingering air freshener and candles that you once burned had soaked into the sheets and walls to the point it truly felt like home. The softness of the cotton rug on your calloused feet tickled your toes and felt heavenly compared to the cement you have grown so accustomed to. Even the white noise of October crickets and the nocturnal bird outside your windows was welcome company as adverse to the eerie echoing silence of your cell. You were so glad All Might invited you to stay in his home...that he became your family...that you knew you'd always have somewhere you knew was safe.

Katsuki was always by your side, neither of you wanting to leave the other. You felt like the moment he stepped away, your dream or facade of freedom would crumble and you'd be left with nothing but that damned cell once again. None of this felt real...the only thing tethering you to reality was this large yet gentle hand that grasped yours.

Katsuki had his own reasons for not wanting to leave your side. One of them was an intense worry and near panic over the idea of leaving you alone, as if you'd vanish from his grasp once again. The other was the fact that today he killed a man to save you. He witnessed from his own bloodied hands how quickly and easily life can be ripped away...that he's capable of the same crimes and evils of a villain. After trying to prove to the world that he was a hero, he only convinced them further of what he was truly capable of. He knew he had to kill him, that your skull would have been crushed under that villain's deathgrip...but inside that turmoil and guilt ate him alive. Now, more than ever, Katsuki needed a reminder that he was capable of walking the path of good...that being a hero is not a dream he forgo. 

"Let's get you a shower," He said rather quietly in contrast with his usual volume and temperment. You nodded, walking slowly with a weak and sore body to your dresser to pick out comfy pajamas. Luckily, you thought to leave some of your clothes here instead of taking everything to the dorms. It wasn't necessarily enough to last you a few weeks as you recovered, but it was enough until you could send someone out to get you more or to bring some home from the dorms. You grasped fuzzy fleece All Might pajama pants and a long sleeved plain shirt that would hide your scars and wounds...a reminder of your pain and endurance. Taking clean underwear, a new bralette, and a fresh towel with you, Katsuki walked you into your conjoined fullsized bathroom. The familiar cactus shower curtain added a hint of brightness to your world and the cooling sensation of the tile flooring was soothing to your aching feet.

Katsuki went to your shower and switched the nozzle on for hot water, feeling with his hands after a few seconds to see if he had to adjust the temperature. After adjusting the cold water to get the perfect soaking temperature, he scratched the back of his head.

"Um..." He wanted any excuse to stay with you a little bit longer...to not have you out of his sight. "Want some music or candles or something? Make it nice?" You gave him a soft smile of recognition for his efforts, rubbing a circle on his hand with your free one. 

"Sure...candles are on the one table near the balcony door and you can use the TV to play music. It's connected to the internet." With the bathroom door wide open for Katsuki to still keep an eye on you, he quickly fetched a candle that smelled like apple pie and put on some rather surprisingly calm music on the TV. Since you spent your life away from most pop culture, music was also a relatively new aspect of the world for you. Mitsuki had introduced you to most of the songs you knew now, but Katsuki had far more versatility than you'd expect.

"I didn't know you knew this type of music," You spoke with calm surprise. He snickered for a moment as he lit the candle and positioned it on a safe spot: one top of the waist level cabinet to the side of the sink.

"Yeah well don't tell anyone but I...I like this kind of stuff too. I'm not that punk kid that everyone thinks I am." You always knew he was different from what everyone's expectations were, you just didn't think this was one of them. You placed your clothes to the side on a small rack, turning back to Katsuki as the water pouring down the drain in the shower was now almost as loud as the mellow music.