Chapter 11- Our Interests

Edited 5/13/23

Katsuki was right.

The only way to possibly fight him in this tournament style final round of the UA Sports Festival was if both of you made it to the very end. You found the idea quite fitting, but the sense of spotlight was somewhat terrifying. Millions of people watched your every move as it was projected to the world. Normally you would have simply declined the invite to the festival, but the other students would have noticed it and it would have made them suspect you more.

If anyone figured out your identity from the TV program, you would take care of it. As you always did.

You were resting now in the nurse's office, wet towel over your closed eyes, completely mentally underprepared for the tournament rounds. Do you show off and draw yourself as the target for any villains watching? Or do you stay under the radar and try to fail yourself on purpose?

A third thought plagued you...and the notion of Katsuki being disappointed in you for failing on purpose made it difficult to decide. It was so strange how quickly you grew attached to his opinion. It bothered you when you lingered on it, but in the moment...it was like you weren't yourself.

Katsuki left for a few minutes to get an energy drink and a snack before he had to start the next part of the tournament. He said he was fighting someone he's never heard of, which could be literally anyone in your class since the blond never paid attention to anyone that was outside of your lunch table.

A knock on the door to the nurse's office alerted you of a guest.

"Come in," you spoke out softly, the echoes of pain in your eyes channeling through your skull and eardrums. The loud sounds of shouting from the audience just outside of the door didn't help either. The door slid open and someone dragged a chair on the ground to sit next to you.

"You're doing great Young (y/n)! I'm proud to see your efforts out there but I can't help but be concerned seeing you have to rest your eyes so often. We will have to work on your quirk's stamina since I'm sure you've never had to use it to this extent before."

The voice was strong and familiar...but you couldn't put a finger on it. He sounded like All Might without the proud power. It was almost like a quieter, gentler All Might.

"A-All Might?" You asked softly and unsure. The voice chuckled with a tingle of anxiety in his core. He was uncertain about his next move but took a deep breath to center himself.

"I-...I thought about your job and how you are trusting me with your secret and figured you deserved honesty from me as well. I'm concerned that the villains are targeting UA right now because I have passed on my quirk to a new successor. I...I don't usually look like the All Might you know."

You couldn't just lay there anymore, you had to see what he meant. Despite needing the rest, you removed the coverings from over your eyes, and focused your vision on a tall yet extremely thin frame.

His hair was gold and untamed, two long bang strands framed his face below his sharply angled chin. His eyes were sunken in, yet an electric blue that you knew you've seen before. His body...despite wearing a suit, was merely skin and bones. The black jacket and dress shirt looked five sizes too big for him.

You wouldn't consider yourself an openly expressive person, but the vision of shock on your face was completely evident. It seemed entirely impossible for this sunken man to have transformed into the statuesque bodice of All Might. 

This...this is the price to pay for being the symbol of peace?

"All Might...what happened to you?" You gasped to him, the tone aching with concern more than confusion.