Chapter 74- Plucking Daisies

TW: Mentioning of scars, body image.

~~

The day of the school festival was full of chaos in the best of ways. With Class 1-A having a performance-based activity scheduled, they were in the last time block allotted in the evening...which was perfect because then you could enjoy the first half of the festival with your beloved boyfriend and friends before they had to leave to prepare for their performance.

The morning went by quickly with you making yourself look presentable for the first time in months. All the girls got together to dress up and whatnot for the show, and you rather enjoyed their presence. Mina was so cheery as always with her desire to help the girls with show-stopping makeup, Tsuyu was helping with hair, Jiro was warming her vocal cords while trying to fight off stage fright, Momo was preparing costumes...and you sat while snacking on mochi jellies with Ochaco. It was odd...you wanted to hate her for everything that happened with the camp and with Katsuki...you wanted to resent her.

But being so alone in that cell...knowing firsthand how you would have done almost anything to make Eri safe when she was cowering in your arms...you understood the powerless fear Ochaco went through. Eri was your family now, and you would have gutted anyone who dared to threaten her. A sourness about the situation still lingered in the back of your mind, but for now, you didn't want to waste the energy on hate anymore. She wouldn't be targeted anymore...she didn't have any motive to carry forward against you or Katsuki, and more importantly, she was loyal to her affections towards Deku. Knowing that you and Deku were sibling students made Ochaco realize that if she ever wanted a chance with Deku, she had to reconcile a genuine friendship with you again.

And it was truly genuine.

"Ooh this one was blueberry...wanna try one?" Her soft, bubbly voice called out to you with round brown eyes as the two of you sat cross-legged on a bench in the girl's bathroom. The bathroom was extremely large with about five private shower stalls, a dressing area with two wooden benches and counters. There was plenty of space for everyone, and you were happy to have a private space away from the boys that were soaked in drama. Between Shoto and Katsuki, you were sure that they overshadowed the rest of the class with their bickering.

"Sure!" You took a small soft blue pastry into your mouth and was surprised how sweet and tart the jelly was on the inside.

"Whatcha think?" She asked you. "Those ones are my favorite. I like blueberry and melon the best."

"It's good! I still think I'm a sucker for strawberry," you replied.

"(y/n)!" You turned to see Mina with eyeliner sharp enough to kill and deep violet lipstick that made her cherry blossom skin glow in comparison. Mina was absolutely beautiful. She was one of the most unique women you've ever met with bright pink skin, black sclera, and even little horns poking from her wirey bubblegum hair. There wasn't anyone on TV, in magazines, or broadcasted amongst the hero world that looked like her...and instead of feeling rejected, Mina took pride in making that space her own. You admired her confidence and pride in herself and you would do anything in your power to repay her for the endless kindness she's shown you. With your hands, you would prop Mina and the other friends you've made into creating a better hero world than the one that spawned the likes of Hawks or Endeavor.

"Um...earth to (y/n)! Are you listening?" Mina waved her hand in front of your face while wearing just her undergarments. 

"O-Oh yeah! Sorry, I was just in thought," you stuttered with pink cheeks when you noticed Mina was prancing around half-naked without a care in the world. You envied her. Now, after everything, you were littered in scars and old burn marks...not to mention the mental wounds that might never quite heal. To be able to strut around with a smile so big and a body you felt at home in...