Chapter 27- Reassurance

The finals were only two weeks away, and the classroom was in a panic in preparation for it.

You sat next to Katsuki and Kirishima at your desk, stressfully writing down the subjects you felt like you needed to study harder for. You weren't in a bad position in the class sitting at number 10, but you wanted to do better. When it came to the actual hero course work, you sat at the top of the class along with Katsuki and Todoroki. Coming in close were Deku, Iida, and Yaoyorozu. However, Yaoyorozu was clearly the biggest genius of the class. You were half tempted to ask her for help to study.

You gripped the bridge of your nose in stress, looking at every broad and micro subject you felt you weren't at your best with.

Katsuki was zoning out, feet on his desk with dark bags under his eyes. He's been exhausted lately in preparation for finals...his desire to be number one causing him to work out like crazy. Everyone was talking to each other about finals, studying and finding someone to help them. Ochaco looked nervous and tired about the upcoming exams, the Hagakure thing really taking a toll on her mental health. You were worried about your friend, but was unsure if it was your place to say anything since you were the one who put Hagakure away. You spoke to Midoriya about trying to cheer her up and the green-haired hero was nothing short of sweet about it. One day he took Ochaco for ice cream after class and she was so bubbly about it the next day.

The other worry in your mind was Shinso.

He wasn't going to enter the class until finals were over, immediately transferring to the class once the summer began. You worried about how your friends would take the news and even moreso how they would react to you if they didn't get along with Shinso.

Well...more like you were worried about Katsuki.

The blond was no stranger to reacting physically and lashing out in anger in stressful situations or even in normal ones. You wouldn't be able to do much if Shinso antagonized him and started a fight.

The ball of dull pain in your forehead grew a bit more at the thought.

You turned to Katsuki, who wasn't paying attention, and ran your fingers so delicately across his arm. He tensed up for a second before looking up at you, his usually animated eyes exhausted.

Your fingers danced further up his arm and shoulders until you reached his cheek, cupping the soft skin in your hand.

"We got this." You spoke softly more to convince yourself than anything. The light returned to Katsuki's scarlet eyes as a smile you weren't sure was soft or loving cracked through his rough exterior.

Todoroki glanced over from his spot in the back with a sour stomach, Katsuki lifting your hand to hold it with his.

Why does this...hurt?
Why do I care?

...why am I second place, just like my father?

~~

A spikey redhead walked with you and Katsuki during lunch, a yellow-haired thunder boy following close behind. It was a boring Monday with all of your classes consisting of reviewing material or last-minute subjects being taught. For some reason, Eraserhead has been kinder to you and possibly even more patient (if that was even possible). Perhaps he gave you some leeway considering the effort you had to put in with protecting the students this semester and all of the injuries you have sustained. Midnight, Ectoplasm, and Present Mic all gave you make-up assignments and study guides to help bring you up to task for all of the subjects on the cumulative final that you may have missed since before you joined UA. 

The headache from earlier multiplied by three. Luckily, Kirishima's voice broke through your stressed-out thoughts.

"Man I definitely need to study my Japanese History and math. I'm starting to fall behind and with everyone gun-ho about studying, I don't want Eraserhead on my case. Maybe I'll ask Yao Momo to help me study or something." Kirishima seemed just as stressed as you were. Katsuki looked to his friend with a tired expression that suddenly perked up.