Chapter 30- Rebirth

You gripped Shoto's arm in sudden anxiety as you stood on a hospital floor, basking in the white fluorescent light. You grew accustomed to hospitals during your stay at UA, something you didn't think too hard about. The man to your right was even responsible for one of those trips, though you held no ill will about it.

But it gave Endeavor a reason to focus on me. I can't be that careless.

"Shoto, is that you?" You heard a soft voice echo inside the room that the sliding door was shielding you from. Why did it feel like you swallowed acid?

"Yes Mom. I brought her too." Her? She was expecting you? You didn't let go of the lean yet muscular arm that opened the door to his mother's room. You weren't sure what you were really seeing as a woman with cascading ivory hair like a marble statue and gentle silver eyes sat at the edge of her bed with an eager smile. The hospital gown was jarring to her angelic presence, the mortality and fragility of man poisoning her heavenly being. Behind her was the golden shine from the afternoon sun, a halo to her very figure.

Was it possible for a person to be so beautiful and to emit such a radiating display of light?

The anxiety you felt instantly melted away, your grip also slipping away from Shoto's arm.

"Come in (y/n). My name is Rei. Shoto has told me so much about you." You stepped forward into the open light, the sensation of wanting to cry stung your eyes. A woman that was so soft, pure, and elegant...what kind of person could have hurt her so bad she ended up in a hospital like this?

What kind of person was Endeavor really?

"Mom...please, you're embarrassing me." Shoto whispered with a heavy dash of red coating his cheeks. You paid him no mind however, you were entirely focused on Rei.

"Rei...I didn't expect you to be so..."

"Broken?" She halfheartedly spoke, looking down at heavily bandaged arms. You didn't notice them until you got closer. Suddenly you started to notice all of her flaws...heavy purple bags under her eyes, bandaged wrists, pale ghostly skin...

"Beautiful." You said quietly. Todoroki gave you a hidden smile, his mother looking at you in surprise. The woman you thought was an angel sat in front of you as one of the fallen, her wings burned clean off her back by a man that was supposed to love her. A man that promised her a home, a family, a forever...

The devil always was encased in a trusted golden flame that brightened the eye...it's no wonder the angel before you fell for his tricks.

"(Y/n) was asked by him to engage in a quirk marriage with me. I wanted you to share your story with her. I don't think he will leave her alone now that he has selected her." Shoto broke your thought process, reminding you why you were here. Rei's silver eyes narrowed before she sighed. She then pat the space in her bed next to her while Shoto sat in the guest chair.

"Come here (y/n). I think this will be good for you to hear." You listened to the instructions, careful to leave distance between yourself and Rei as you were worried that a single touch would break her.

"(Y/n), I heard your quirk is possibly one of the most powerful recorded defense quirks out there. Is that true?"

"Ahh...well...I wouldn't go that far but it does come in handy." Rei smiled, her eyes looking into the past instead of viewing the room before her.

"You know (y/n)...I once aspired to be a hero too. My grades were great in school, my quirk was strong enough to be showcased in the Sports Festival on TV, and I had plenty of friends. I was sixteen years old when I met him...he said he was a fan of my quirk at the Sports Festival and wanted to get to know me. He was already a pro hero by then, in second place...so three months into dating, he offered my extremely poor parents funding for my hand in marriage. I didn't argue. The looks we recieved where a twenty two year old man took a sixteen year olds' hand should have warned me enough." Rei gave a bitter chuckle at the end of her sentence. She continued.