Chapter 38- Cost of Survival

The world shined with a bright electric blue light despite the hour being past midnight. Despite it being Wintertime, the world felt as sweltering as Summer. You rose from your bed, kicking the metal tin containing your one prized possession underneath it. As your little feet padded the flooring to head towards the door, your father rushed in your room with snowshoes, a coat, and a bag.

"(Y/n), put this on now!" You grasped the heavy shoes, him dropping the others onto the ground while you looked at him with wide eyes.

"But Daddy-"

"I said NOW! We have no time to argue!" You quickly did as your father asked, lacing up the boots, buttoning your jacket, and slipping the heavy bag onto your back. You walked towards your parents in the living room, both of them looking out of the window.

"The coast looks clear, we have to do it now." Your Mom spoke in a hurried voice, your father eagerly agreeing. 

"Alright."  

"Mommy...Daddy...what's going on?" You asked both parents, the two of them looking at you with red and watery eyes.

"Baby girl...it's time you go. Never forget that we love you." Your mother knelt down to your height to give you a tight hug, your father following suit.

"You need to run (y/n) and never look back. Remember your training and head to the mainland as quickly as you can. We taught you everything you need to survive." The sound of glass breaking in a nearby home grasped your attention, your breath hiking up in fear. Your father quickly placed his hands on your cheeks so you looked at him.

"Please promise me...promise me you'll..." He started to choke upon his words, screams in the nearby houses getting louder.

"That I'll do what Daddy?"

" Survive."  With that, your father stood up and lifted the heavy glass window to give you enough room to go through.

"Hurry up! They're coming!" Your mother yelled to your father. Said man roughly shoved you through the window, you landing on the ground with a heavy thud from the lopsided weight on your back. You tried to get up to look at your father but he merely pointed at you with a stern expression. 

"RUN!" He shouted with vigor. You listened, sprinting towards the woods that surrounded your village. The usually silent night was filled with cries of terror and screams of agony, the crackle of a fiery heat death was encompassing your whole world. Once you finally made it to the treeline, you hid in a bush to watch your parents from afar. A boy with hair as red as blood merely touched the outside of your home, setting it ablaze in the cerulean glow. You watched as two others, a tall man in a black suit walked into the building with a boy just a few years older than you. His hair was whiter than the moon, his face completely hidden. You tried to see if you could hear them speak...but it was no use with the rumble of the fire and the cries of agony in the air. Suddenly, your parents rushed the two people, the man in the suit immediately pinning the two against the wall with metal rods. You covered your mouth to conceal your squeak, remembering rule one of the shinobi code: silence in the face of violence.

The boy with white hair walked towards your parents with a dagger in hand, holding it wrong as if it were foreign to him. You watched as your father screamed for the boy to stop as he slit your mother's throat without hesitation, the blue of the fire overcome with scarlet red. Your father...the man who shielded you and protected you as much as he could...the same man that traded his valuables away just to buy you that single All Might doll...

He grinned at the face of his very death...the smile lingering as the blade glided across his throat.

SURVIVE