Chapter 40- Futures

Your grip on Todoroki's cotton shirt was the only thing keeping you tethered to the world. He slumped to the ground, exhausted and defeated, but likewise keeping you close to his chest to feel as if not everything in the world was falling apart. He couldn't stop looking at your crestfallen expression, wishing beyond anything that the League took him instead so he'd never had to see you in so much pain again. If having Bakugo here instead of him meant that you wouldn't be so heartbroken, he was willing to do it.

"He's gone...they took him...he's gone..." You whimpered with an airy breath, ready to just implode. Midoriya was loudly sobbing by your side, Shoji snapping a large fallen branch in half to get out his tension. Aoyama slowly emerged from his spot hidden in nearby brush, a sweatdrop falling down his shaking face. 

"A-Are they gone? I...I didn't know what to do I...I'm sorry." Shoto shook his head, adjusting your body so your face was burrowed into the crook of his neck. He hugged you tightly to him, your whole body just...frozen. 

"No, you helped me save (y/n) and for that I owe you." Everything was silent except for the sniveling that Midoriya was doing, him lying face down on the forest floor. Shoto felt disgusted with himself. If only he had held back Dabi a few moments longer...then you wouldn't be so heartbroken and hurt. His failure led directly to your current state, and for that he couldn't forgive himself. Shoji felt the same...if only he was just a moment faster...a bit stronger...maybe he would have saved his classmate. You weren't the only one helpless, there was nothing they could do.

"Let's get her and Midoriya to Aizawa Sensei. They need medical treatment." Shoto effectively took over leadership...but you were fine with that. You just wanted to melt away into nothing...to vanish from this world entirely. What kind of hero would you ever be if you couldn't even save the man you loved?

"I can carry them both." Shoji volunteered, wanting to feel like he could contribute something. He went over and picked up Midoriya, Aoyama walking alongside them. Shoji came towards Shoto but the latter shook his head.

"Just...let me hold her...please." No one argued with him, as anyone who wasn't blind could see your clear devastation as if you were made of glass. You wrapped your arms around Shoto's neck and shoulders, your cheeks touching. 

"Shoto they took him...they took him...I lost him." He felt your tears drip down his neck, and the desire to kiss you and tell you how much he loved you hit him harder than a wall. He just wanted to end your suffering, but he knew the only thing that would relieve your pain was the explosive boy you chose over him. Instead, he settled to be there for you. To be the friend that you could rely on most. He wanted to be the person you knew would walk into Hell with you if you asked him to. With the gritting of your teeth, he knew you wanted revenge...and so if Hell was your destination he would hold onto you until the end. 

"I'm with you (y/n). I'm with you." He whispered as he carried you off to safety...away from where you lost the man you loved. 

~~

You really started to loathe hospitals.

You begged the nurses to put you and Deku in the same room, not quite wanting to be alone but no one argued with you. Deku also wanted to have you around, after all... the person who understood how he felt most would be you. It's been two days...and each day has been more painful than the last. You finally got up from your cot, the blue hospital gown draped over your figure that covered the yellowing bruises from Rega's quirk. You were filled with a mixture of unfiltered rage, and numbness...you didn't know what to do. You didn't know where to go.

While Deku was asleep in the bed next to yours and you were staring out the window, a knock on the hospital room door alerted you of a guest. You couldn't will the voice inside of you to come out. You were just an empty shell knowing that Katsuki was gone.

Protecting You (Katsuki Bakugo x Reader)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें