Chapter 10- I Promise

Edited 5/11/23

Katsuki's face...

...was fucking priceless.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing (y/n)." He all but growled in an angry voice as all of the contestants were handed white cloth bandanas. You gave him an innocent smile while looking at Mina then glancing back.

"Well...Izuku was the only one who asked me to join their group. I figured you didn't need me right?" There was a hint of venom in your voice, enough for Katsuki to immediately know what you were referring to.

"Oh so you're on a first fucking name basis now huh? I wanted a group that could screw over Icy Hot. She's on the offense with her acid bullshit, it can cut through his ice. You're defensive. It's the smartest move I could make," Katsuki explained himself, annoyed. You watched as Izuku tied his headband on and waved you over, prepared with the rest of the team being comprised of Tokoyami and Ochaco. You could safely say you trust all three of them with your victory, something you would never have said about anyone two months ago.

"Katsuki." The blond looked up at you whilst tying his headband. The focused look on his face was definitely cute, you admitted. You shook your head, ridding yourself of the thought.

"Yeah?" You pointed at Katsuki, gritting your teeth in preparation for the battle ahead.

"I'm going to kick your ass for not picking me. You better make it to the next round." He grinned but it faltered slightly as he watched you walk towards Midoriya. Just seeing him of all people smile at you ignited Katsuki's burning spirit. He glanced at Mina who was excitedly talking to Kirishima, Katsuki's other group member.

"Yo Pink Bitch." Mina lifted her head and an eyebrow.

"W-what did you call me?!" Katsuki yelled out, mini explosions popping like firecrackers on his fingertips.

"DON'T YOU DISAPPOINT ME YOU HEAR?!" Katsuki didn't know how to express his distaste for the fact you were now holding Midoriya with your friends, the green haired boy nothing but smiles and laughing with you. It felt like fire in his heart.

He didn't know why, but he felt an overwhelming desire to yank you away from everyone so no one, including you, would think twice.

That possessive feeling never went away.

~~

Calvary Race: each team of two to four students must have one person not touching the ground. That person must wear a band with a numerical point value that represents the cumulative point amount of the group from their placement of the previous challenge. The exception is the number one place winner, Izuku Midoriya, who is worth one million points. Try to get as many points as possible, the top four teams will advance.

Midnight's voice echoed across the stadium and the world as she introduced the task at hand. You knew you had to succeed in this challenge. Seeing Katsuki choose someone over you, it made you annoyed, as if you weren't good enough.

You were going to make him regret that.

"You comfy Deku?" You asked the boy on your left shoulder. You thought he would be light but he was surprisingly dense. He must have a lot of muscle packed on his lean frame. You never noticed because of the clothes he typically wore at school and the fact he did not come across as the type of guy that lifts. Katsuki's muscles practically overflowed his clothing when we wasn't in uniform, not that you ever complained.

"Yeah...well as comfortable as I'm going to be. Are you all ready? I'm counting on all of you!" He encouraged with his ever comforting presence. You smiled up at him, just a flicker of self-reflection behind your eyes. He inspired wonder in your mind and a spark of grief that perhaps someone like him would have been a friend in another life. You refused to wallow in that grief and instead pressed forward.