Book 4: The Call of the Dragon

We'd been starved, beaten, tortured and horribly mistreated for many months. I couldn't see us surviving much longer with the lack of food and water provided to us. Amy was by far the worst, barley able to stand with her overly weak legs. Tahli, despite her weakened state, remained largely emotionless, regardless of what was going on around her. Bailey had grown depressed, constantly wondering whether or not Magar managed to escape or not, and I had fallen into what felt like an inescapable pit of endless suffering. I couldn't imagine how we would take back what was once ours with out the help from above that we so desperately needed.

Early one morning, I woke to a stiff back and rain pouring from the sky above, soaking the clothes I was wearing all the way through. At that point though, the clothes were the least of my worries. I stepped to the edge of our tiny prison as soldiers wandered around the camp, readying a small group for their daily rounds. They had slaughtered so many innocent  people over such petty things, yet I could do nothing about it. This made my blood run hot through my body every time I made eye contact. Why they had let me live after all of the damage we caused was beyond me, though at that point I wouldn't have complained if they changed their mind.

"Wake up! All of you! If you slack, you'll have your heart cut out!" One soldier shouted as dozens of others released us from our cages to work.

As we wandered into the camp, one young man collapsed from exhaustion, only to be shot to death by the soldiers trailing us.

"Stay up. Don't fall." I said as I prodded Bailey to keep moving.

"I know. I'm trying." She replied.

"Well try harder. If they see you as useless, they'll put you down." I exclaimed firmly.

"I think she knows that already." Tahli added.

"Guys, hush. We've seen them murder people just for fun. Don't talk to much." Amy cut in.

The four of us hurriedly got to work on repairing a shelter damaged by a severe storm a few nights before with a few others, one of which was a young man with one eye missing from a soldier who wanted to show off his knife skills the day before.

"How are you holding up?" I asked him.

He looked at me with his remaining eye.

"Well, I'm still alive. I guess that's better than so many others, so I can't complain." He replied.

"Hey! The both of you shut it, or you know what will happen." One soldier snapped as he passed by.

"Oh hell! That's the bitch with the dragon! Why is she even still alive?!" One soldier shouted.

"Agreed! And that useless bastard threw a punch the other day! Kill 'em both!" Another soldier added.

"You cut out my eye you bastard!" The young man shouted back at the soldier.

The soldier smirked, before coming over to us and grabbing us both by our shirts and dragging us out into the open, tossing us to the ground.

"Fight." He said.

I shook my head in confusion as Amy, Tahli and Bailey were stopped by several soldiers, with tears running down Bailey's face.

"You two think you're so tough? Fight each other. Kill each other. And if you refuse, we'll kill you both." The soldier said with a smug grin across his face.

I looked back to Bailey and locked eyes with her. She shook her head as she hugged Amy with both arms. Even Tahli seemed somewhat broken. In all of our lives, we've never had to murder an innocent person apart from when we got Tahli out of prison.

"Well bitch? Not so tough without a dragon are you?" One soldier said in a mocking tone.

I locked eyes with the man I was being forced to fight.

"I'm sorry. But I have to do this." I said.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!

Hey all, I just started a new story called " The Dragon and the Mustang!" Be sure to check it out as well as my other two stories " The Dragons of Lithia, and The Lost Dragon"! Enjoy!