260

My ears rang endlessly. My heart was beating far from the confines of my chest as my blood caused my veins to throb as it flowed through them with adrenaline. The battle was won now, as the remaining followers of our adversary were effortlessly slaughtered by natures brutal answer to their attack, along with the men and women who selflessly risked their own lives for the sake of the greater good, backed by the fury of five blood thirsty fire breathers far above, as their colourful flames filled the sky and covered the once peaceful ground with a lethal rainbow. I watched as the fighting slowly turned to the surrender of those who survived our carefully planned assault, all the while my dragon, and those like him circled around over head, sending all who opposed them up in flames as they attempted to flee. After a long while, the sounds of fighting turned to the sounds of cheers, the calls of the animals that had bravely come to our aid, and the roars of the five mighty dragons that guarded the wide open skies far above. Once dominated by their kind, they had once again reclaimed their land for themselves. For a reason unknown to me at the time, May suddenly broke away from the others and joined the fatally wounded dragon down on the battle stricken ground below. I watched as she nuzzled the battered creature, before lifting his ripped wing with her nose and snuggling underneath it as she pressed her head up against the underside of his pulsating throat. I looked back up to the sky as the four remaining dragons surveyed the ground below, observing the victory they had imposed, and the power of the dragons call. After only a few brief moments, May emerged once again, confused and distressed at what she could do to save her stricken partner.

Slowly, I rose to my shaky legs as Doron swiftly landed opposite of me, his gaze locked on the dying dragon that had turned on its master to save my own life. The two creatures, once hell bent on putting each other down, now shared a heart to heart moment, as one thanked the other for its sacrifice. 

"Come on." I said as I started into a brisk job towards the dying behemoth. 

I stopped just short of the dying creatures wing tip as it lay across his battered body, twitching repeatedly as the young creature struggled repeatedly to rise to his feet. I slowly approached the head of the dragon as the open wound created by his masters own weapon gushed blood like a red waterfall, all the while Doron hovered over him, helpless to do anything as the young creature slowly lost the life from his scaled body. 

"Thank you. You saved my life. Yours will not be lost with no vengeance served." I said as I placed my hand on the dragons torn wing, ripped open by the claws of Doron. 

I looked into the dragons one eye that remained. I could see deep into his soul, battered, broken, and confused. I slowly rotated my hand, as if to comfort the dragon as the life left his body, but this likely yielded no results as the eye of the dragon slowly closed, just as I felt, and heard the air leave his powerful lungs.

Doron and Ragon both seemed distressed by the death of their brief comrade, all the while Veracon and Magar continued to circle around over head, standing guard over us as we stood around the slain creature far below.

I felt grief, mixed with triumph course through my veins, forming a confusing mix of emotions that riddled my body as I turned and face my peers.

"We have won this battle, but rest assured, the war has only just begun." I said.