202

I slowly circled around the man as he kept his eye locked on me intently. A soldier tossed a knife between us, before giving a sinister nod. We both looked up for a moment, before the two of us simultaneously dove for the knife, colliding with each other as we both blindly threw our hands around trying to get our hands on the knife. After a moment, I felt a striking pain in my left leg. I looked down to see the man stabbing wildly at me with the knife, as he had gotten it first. 

"Get up! Get up!!" Bailey shouted.

I kicked and rolled until eventually I managed to get to my feet. Once I did so, I looked back at the man as he struggled to stay on his. He was much more underweight than I was, which gave me a clear advantage, regardless of the fact that he had a knife. The soldiers cheered and taunted the two of us as we circled each other like two leaders of rival wolf packs. I could see the fear in his one remaining eye as I slowly closed the gap between us, before running at him, tackling him to the ground. I felt the knife pierce my lower right arm slightly before I pinned it down. I looked down at him. The determination in his face was disturbing and terrifying. Finally, I broke the stale mate by biting down on his left arm, until he dropped the knife as I crushed his wrist and tore the skin off with my teeth. As he scrambled to his feet, screaming in pain, I picked the knife up and forced him to his knees. I looked down at him as the realisation that death was upon him crept across his face. 

"I'm sorry." I said in a shaky voice with tears running down my face.

He grinned and chuckled.

"Don't be. My suffering is over." He said.

He closed his eye and tilted his head up. I slowly lifted the knife to his throat, with my arm shaking wildly. Everyone was silent, except for a few people whimpering in the crowd. I pressed the blade up to his throat, and took in a deep breath.

"Rest easy."

I pulled the blade across his throat, spilling blood out into the ground and around my feet as he fell to the side, gasping for air with a disturbing and almost pyschotic look on his face, before the air left his lungs, and his body fell still. I turned and looked around at everyone watching me, until my eyes came to rest on Amy, Tahli and Bailey looking back at me. Bailey was clinging to Amy, sobbing, and even Tahli seemed to shed a tear.

"Are you happy?" I asked the soldiers as I tossed the knife to the ground.

The didn't say anything. All I got in reply was a wave of the hand, indicating that I was to rejoin the others and return to work. I turned with no protest and stormed past the others, returning to what I was previously doing. As I started to work, Tahli sat down next to me.

"Hey... You alright?" She asked.

I glanced at her in displeasure.

"Yes. I'm great. I was just forced to slaughter an innocent man for someone else's sick pleasure. But that's no problem. I'm just great. How are you?" I exclaimed sarcastically.

She patted me on the back, before returning to her prior task. Amy just gave me a silent grin, and Bailey was nowhere to be seen. 

"Where's Bailey?" I asked.

"She's over there. She'll be fine." Amy replied.

I looked to where she had pointed, to see Bailey sitting up against a small supply hut, with the most defeated, and depressed look I've ever seen in her. 

"Hey! Get back to work!" One of the soldiers shouted at her.

She quickly stood up and came over to us, and pretended to be working as she sat there with a blank look on her face.

"Don't worry. We'll get out of here. Even if it costs me my life, i'll get you out of here." I said.

She looked up at me.

"We're never getting out of here. We're going to die here. It's over." She replied.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!