222

I looked Noah up and down. He was about my height, short, blond hair, with bright green eyes, and slightly less pale skin. I could tell that he was intimated by my lack of response to his introduction, but I was captivated in trying to assess how compatible the two of us were. I had quickly decided that if the two of us weren't going to get along, I'd kill him in his sleep.

"Uh-Hi. Sorry. I'm Jessica." I said as I extended my hand to him.

He reached out and shook my hand.

"Pleasure to meet ya." He replied.

He began to look over the small, bare cell, as if there was something more to look at than the dirt, and wooden walls. He briefly looked out through the front of the cell, before turning back to me.

"So, what'd they bring you hear for?" He asked.

I thought for a moment.

"Leading a rebellion in an attempt to slaughter the Rusianio's or whatever their name is." I said.

He chuckled.

"Where did you come up with enough willing participants in one place to take part?" He asked.

"You wouldn't believe if I told you." I replied.

He grew a confused look on his face.

"What is this place?" I asked.

"You'd not heard of it before being brought here? This is where they bring any slaves who don't comply with orders, or who lash out against them. This is the place of punishment for all of those who are unruly." He replied.

That made sense to me. Now I see why they'd brought me here.

"And why are you here?" I asked in reply.

He chuckled again.

"I killed a soldier. I just snapped one day. They managed to pin me down, so they could bring me here. I guess this is where I die." He replied.

He then began to look me up and down, a look of confusion growing on his face.

"They've already tortured you... Haven't they.." He said.

I nodded my head silently.

"How are you still alive?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"I guess they wanted to keep me around to torment a bit further." I replied.

"Why? I've never heard of that being done before." 

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Again, you wouldn't believe me if I told you." I said.

"No! Please tell me." He exclaimed.

I sighed, debating whether or not I should explain it to him.

"Fine. Here. Sit." I said as I sat down against the back wall of the cell.

He sat down next to me, and patiently waited for me to start explaining.

"Well, have you heard of Jessica Albo?" I asked.

"The crazy lady with the dragons?" 

I nodded.

"Yeah. Her." I said.

He nodded.

"Yeah, I've heard of her. Heard that she took out an entire group of soldiers." He said.

"Yeah, I did do that." I replied.

His eyes grew wide.

"Wait... You're Jessica Albo?!" He exclaimed excitedly.

I smiled as I nodded my head.

"I am!" I exclaimed back.

He seemed overwhelmed by the realisation that I wasn't kidding around with him.

"W-Well it's so great to meet you! What the hell are you doing here?" He asked.

I chuckled to myself.

"Oh... Let's just say that during our last run in with those guys, I lost my footing as my dragon was flying away, and got captured." I replied.

He just looked down at the ground, seemingly unsure of what to say in response.

"But, regardless of all that, tell me about the civil war back home." I said.

He looked up at me and smiled. 

"Well... It's a long, brutal story. I don't know the whole thing. I only know what I saw. But I can still tell you what I know." He said.

I nodded.

"I'll listen to anything you tell me. It's not like we have anything else to do." I replied.