257

A surge of adrenaline ran rampant through my veins as we closed on the structure below. I could feel Doron's muscles pulsating with each flap of his powerful wings, perfectly in time with the beating of his massive heart as he dropped from the sky. I could feel my own body turning against me as I fought back the urge to jump from the dragons back, and slaughter all of those who lived within the foul structures walls, but alas, I did no such thing as I watched dozens of soldiers, armed and able, escorting a small group of people who seemed to be dressed rather elaborately from the structure, all the while shooting at anything that came close to them.

"Bastards! They're making a run for it!" I shouted in frustration.

Doron flapped his wings as fast as they were able to move, though their size slowed them immensely. As we closed the gap between us, and them, I prepared to draw my bow, but just as I reached for an arrow, a stream of flame shot past my head, before Doron was thrown to the side by the impact of the fifth Rusino dragon colliding with him from the side. I clung to his scales, trying for my life to keep my grip. I looked around in the dizzying fall as flames from six dragons filled the sky around me, before the fall came to an abrupt end, with Doron hitting the ground and skidding across it, throwing me from his back as he and the other dragon crashed into the structure, destroying it as they both came to rest on the ground, only a ships length from on another. Had may not snatched me from the air mid fall, I likely would have been killed upon impact with the ground. As I regained my senses and came to my feet, I began looking around at the fighting, happening all around me. Men were being torn apart by bears and wolves, trampled and impaled by bison and deer, and swarmed and ripped open by hundreds of birds, all the while warriors sent arrows through the bodies of the few soldiers who had survived to that point. I whipped my head around, at the sound of Doron flipping back over and rising to his feet to meet his attackers.

The group of soldiers who had surrounded my target were visibly horrified at the sight of the infuriated dragon that stood before them, before their own dragon sprung up from the rubble, his rider still clinging to his back as the two of them charged Doron from the side. The black dragon had little challenge however, and with one swipe of his wing claw, the dragon was pinned to the ground under Doron's weight, helpless to do anything but watch as his rider fled back for the seemingly protective rubble.

I slowly approached the soldiers and their cargo, all the while animals ripped apart the few soldiers who remained to that point. I stopped perhaps a horse length from their feet, and looked them up and down.

"You stay back you crazy slut!" One soldier shouted as he brought his weapon up and aimed it squarely at me.

Just as he uttered his threat, Veracon, Ragon and Magar came down just beside Doron, with May scrambling to join them as I turned to look at the five of them, all glaring with seething anger in their eyes down at their perceived victims.

I looked back to the small group.

"It is over. You have lost four of your dragons, with the fifth helplessly pinned to the ground by my own, and your army has been slaughtered by the forces of nature, summoned by the undeniable call of the dragon. Drop to your knees now, and your lives will be spared." I said confidently.

For a moment, nothing was said as the soldiers exchanged panicked eye contact with their superiors.

The elaborately dressed man cocked his head up slightly as he began to speak.

"So long as a single infantry man breaths, this battle is not lost, nor is it won." He said nervously.

I chuckled as I shook my head.

"What you have done to my land, will now be paid in blood. And personally, I prefer my meat cooked."

I grew a cocky grin across my face as I turned and looked up at Doron, before giving him a final, and confident nod as I walked towards him. All at once, the five dragons spat their deadly flames down and over my head, all the while the screams of those being burnt to their deaths behind me rang through my head, though these screams were much more akin to music to my ears. The sound of five dragons spitting flames was deafening, yet sweet and fulfilling at the same time. The flames stopped a mere moment after they began, and all I could hear was the crackling of a fire building up behind me as the smoke filled my nostrils. I slowly turned around, and was met with the sight of dozens of cooked bodies, strewn amongst the flames, black as Doron's scales. I took in a deep breath and dropped to my knees, feeling a deep sense of victory run hot through my otherwise cold blood. For a moment, the sounds of men being eaten alive by wild animals went silent as I shut my eyes. But, the sense of calm only lasted a moment. Just as my eyelids touched each other, I heard a scream coming from in front of me as Doron spat flames over my head. I snapped my eyes open to see the lone dragon rider sprinting from the rubble, back into the mass of soldiers, animals and warriors. Just as I processed what was happening, the dragon previously pinned under Doron's claw struggled free, taking advantage of Doron's brief lapse in concentration, before running off after his rider. I felt anger run through me, just as Amy came to my side and held me back from giving chase as Veracon ran after the fleeing dragon. 

Hey all, I just started a new story called " The Dragon and the Mustang!" Be sure to check it out as well as my other two stories " The Dragons of Lithia, and The Lost Dragon"! Enjoy!