205

The flames were roaring, rising high into the air. Doron's eyes were glowing as he kept them locked on me. For what felt like an eternity, there was a calm silence between the two of us. Then, he lowered his head down as low as he could to me. His breath was powerful, and knocked me back with every exhale he took. His head still struck me as massive, regardless of my familiarity with his enormity. 

"What the hell does he want?" One of our female cell mates said nervously.

I turned and looked at her.

"Nothing bad." I replied.

I then looked back to Doron.

"Get us out of here." I said.

He slowly opened his jaw, before locking his forward teeth under the roof of our tiny prison, then, effortless ripping it apart, knocking down the forward bar wall in the process.

"Come on. They won't hurt us." I said to my cell mates.

We all stepped out as Doron rose his head back up, still looking down at us. After a moment, he turned, his head vanishing back through the slowly dying flames.

I then turned to my now free cell mates.

"Let the others out. The doors don't require a key. Get them out." I ordered.

Without hesitation, they all turned and hurried along, rapidly opening cells as the four of us wandered through a wide gap in the flames. As we shielded our eyes from the brightness and the heat of the flames, I didn't expect to see what I saw when we walked through.

As we un-shielded our eyes, we were greeted with the sight of hundreds, maybe thousands of men laying on the ground, either dead or dying, many of which were burned beyond what seemed survivable, along with dozens of dragons rummaging around for survivors in the scattered flames. 

I counted.

"twenty-seven." There's twenty-seven." I said.

"Do you imagine that this is the last of them?" Amy asked.

I nodded.

"It would certainly make sense. Expect for those five rouges that attacked us." I replied.

"Well, it's only for now, but still." Tahli added.

I then looked to the left as Doron slowly following us with his head as we walked into the carnage. Men were screaming in pain, crying and desperately tried to escape some of the smaller dragons that were wondering the destroyed camp, killing any survivors. Most of the dragons were not much bigger than the female that had killed the smaller male when we first met wade. That specific female was there as well, off in the distance eating a body, with only three other dragons being larger than her, but still smaller than Magar. There were also six that were much smaller than the others, including May herself. Our four dragons dwarfed the others, of course, and the seven-teen dragons that were neither large, nor small, made up the vast majority. It then struck me how small the rouge dragons that attacked us were compared to Doron, them being only slightly larger than the most of ours.

"Well, i'll be damned." Tahli said.

I turned to my right, to see Veracon and Ragon slowly approaching us from different directions. As they got closer, I noticed that Veracon was a fair bit smaller than Ragon, likely due to lack of food. Regardless, they were both still massive animals, and both seemed very healthy and well fed, despite Veracon's clear stunt in growth. 

"Veracon!" Amy shouted as she broke out into a run towards him. 

He cawed and lowered his head to her as she approached him.

I then turned to Tahli.

"Well?" I said to her.

She grinned, before starting towards Ragon.

"Look! It's Magar!" Bailey shouted.

I turned to see Magar walking around Doron, approaching the two of us as Bailey ran to her. As the two embraced each other, I looked up at Doron, a half smiled, before breaking out into a run towards him. I ran around Magar, nearly tripping over her claw as I ran. At long last, I stopped, at the tip of the claw protruding from Doron's wing. He looked down at me, before he lowered his head down to me. I looked into his eye. I could see his emotions flowing wildly. He seemed to have sorrow, but no remorse. I hugged his snout as a tear dripped down my cheek, before stepping back and looking up at him.

"You had to. I know that. I forgive you." I said as I sniffled.

I then began to ponder, and for a moment, all of the screams, and the crackling of flames around me momentarily went silent in my head.

"So... Why did you?" I asked. 

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!