309

"What do you think the world was like before humans came to exist?" Amy asked as she looked up at the star lit sky.

I waited a moment to respond, still admiring the night sky. The reflection off the oceans water was dazzling, and the updraft of air rising up the cliff face was cool and shiver spreading. I still very much enjoyed it however.

"I don't really know... Know one knows." I replied softly with a huff.

Amy chuckled.

"I've always wondered what the world would have been like had humans not come along. Just nature, and relative peace. Nothing else. No plotting, no war, no needless death, no torture, just each living creature doing what ever it needed to stay alive. That's it."

Just then, Bailey came from behind us and sat down at the cliffs edge next to me.

"Well, perhaps humans simply always where." She said jokingly.

I laughed, still panning my head across the ocean view.

"Who knows. I always wondered where we even came from... There's nothing else in the world that I've seen that even kind of resembles us, so where we came from is a confusing riddle to solve." I said.

Amy shrugged her shoulders, just as Veracon came to the edge of the cliff-his incredible weight shaking the ground with every step he took. He briefly looked down at the three of us, before spreading his wings and diving off the cliffs edge. His wings sounded like a ships sails catching wind with every flap, until he was far out to the water and beyond the range of our ears.

"And what about them? Where did they come from? There's most certainly nothing quite like them in the world. They never stop growing, they breath fire, they can live for centuries, what other creature has all of these traits?" Amy asked as Magar also leaped from the cliff and flew out to join Veracon.

I shook my head.

"That's an even bigger mystery... There's something special about them, that's without question. I was able to hatch three dragon eggs that were hundreds of years old... No other animal can lay eggs that can last hundreds of years. We'll likely never know where they come from, nor will we know where we come from, but it'll always be a pondering point." I said as I stood up and started back towards our fire.

"And what happens when the last one dies? What happens when the last of us dies?" Bailey said as she stood up behind me.

I paused, then turned to her.

"Why would you assume that's going to happen?" I asked as I shook my head.

She sighed, letting her shoulders drape as Amy came up beside her.

"There's only four of them left, and unless one of them lays eggs soon, they'll again go extinct. I doubt that all four will survive the coming fights. If I had to bet, they'll all be slain before the wars end, and we'll be stranded here for the rest of our lives. As for the entirety of human kind, we're constantly killing each other in wars that last years, decades, centuries even. You and I have both read the historical readings about how the first war nearly killed all those who lived back home." She said.

I replied in a speedy fashion.

"You know those are just theories, and not actual recorded fact. Don't fly into a fight with the assumption that you're going to die, because if you do you won't try to prevent it, and actual get yourself killed." I snapped.

"Oh fuck off with that. You've seen tens of thousands of people die fighting to end a war that only started another. We flew here with five dragons that were supposed to bring the last war to a grinding halt and promise eternal peace, and yet one of the five was shot down and slaughtered by a fucking metal stick. Don't give me some bullshit argument about how having a positive attitude will magically keep us all alive. That doesn't work. I'm going to sleep because i'm damn near dead from lack of sleep. If we're all still alive in the morning, I'll see you then. Goodnight." She said before storming off towards the long grass.

"What's her problem?" Amy asked as she came to my side.

I shrugged.

"Could be several things. Either she's afraid to die and is trying to mask it, which is understandable, or she really has lost faith and just doesn't care what anyone thinks." I replied.

Amy sighed.

"Well, let's hope she doesn't do anything that could cost her, or us." She said.

I nodded in agreement.

"Yes, but sadly hope isn't always enough."