249

We rose to twenty horse lengths above the tree tops, now making no effort to hide our presence as we closed the distance on our enemies. I could see the soldiers scrambling into position as Doron passed over the edge of the treeline, with the others close behind and above him. I looked down and watched as the warriors broke the treeline, and broke out in a sprint as the air erupted in war cries and a deafening roar that filled my ears. Almost instantly, the wall of guns lit up with blasts of gun fire, cannons going off from the ships off on the water, and within the lines of soldiers that opposed our army. Almost instantly, horses and warriors began falling under the guns fire, not even getting close to their opposition. 

"Watch the cannons!" I shouted as I panned my head around, though it likely didn't have much affect.

Cannon fire flew past us, narrowly missing its mark most of the time. As we closed on the front lines, one dragon behind me and to the left was struck down by the cannon fire, knocking the beast to the ground as it cried out in pain. As I watched the dragon fall to the ground, I heard a familiar sound come from above.

"DRAGONS!" I shouted as I looked up to see the four dragons diving on us.

Within seconds, the air had gone from quiet and calm, to furious and deadly as dragons chased each other down spitting flames, while others hit the soldiers on the ground with deadly blasts of flames themselves.

"May! With me!" I shouted as Noah and May flew over us.

May chirped at me as she fell into formation with Doron. The two dragons exchanged brief eye contact, before they both dove onto the soldiers below and spat flames in lethal columns along the front lines, before, before peeling away to avoid being shot down. I looked around as to ensure that we had no attackers from the rear, to see one of our own dragons flying towards the ground, covered in smoke, fire, and spilling blood before crashing into the ground, killing dozens of warriors as they charged the front lines. Veracon and Ragon flew wing tip to wing tip as they strafed the soldiers below, but our attacks seemed to do little in the way of hindering our enemies ability to fight back against us. Their numbers were immense. While we had quickly brought the front lines down with a rain of arrows, spears, and flames, more soldiers continued to replace the fallen, and not one of our warriors had even gotten close to the soldiers, who continued to fire their deadly weapons into the charging mass of freed slaves, and vengeful people.

"Come. We're better off engaging the dragons up hi." I said to Doron.

I knew that abandoning the fight on the ground would surely leave many more warriors to die, but I also knew that leaving the dragons to attack our warriors would yield no better results. As we ascended, we were quickly surrounded by a mess of dragons chasing each other down, with one going down every minute or so. Unfortunately, every dragon that i'd seen go down was one of ours. Doron dropped in behind the dragon being ridden, but was quickly forced to disengage when he spotted May with two others right on her tail. Doron's roars were enough to shake the dragon from her tail, and Noah seemed appreciative of our gesture. 

"Come on! We've got to take them down!" I shouted as the four dragons dove from the fight towards our army, with one of the four dropping a newly slaughtered dragon from its talons.

The four dragons began strafing the mass of men and women with flames, leaving us helpless to attack without killing many of our own. But just as quickly as their attack had started, it stopped as the four of them pitched up and retreated behind their own lines. I pondered what to do for a moment, before suddenly, cannon fire from the ships off shore began taking out thousands more of our own people, with none of them getting anywhere close to the soldiers on the front lines, only sending arrows and spears their way.

"Come on! Let's get to the ships!" I shouted in a commanding, yet desperate voice.