302

The skies once again blue and clear, and four dragons dominating its skies, the flight home felt fruitless. After her sudden shift to apparent insanity, Bailey and Magar proudly led the formation of four-with May still clinging tightly to Magar's underside, much like a child clings to its mother. Veracon flew down to Magar's right, starting to follow her lead, whilst Doron flew behind the others-his much larger size rendering him slower and less maneuverable than his smaller relatives. In the years since their birth, the dragons had changed dramatically. Whilst Magar and the now slain Ragon had grown into savage and eager slaughterers, Doron, Veracon and the relatively young May had all grown in size, but maintained their passive attitudes. While Doron was typically leading the others, he had never quite grown to enjoy violence, unlike his slain brother and his bonded partner.

"Easy my child." I said softly as I patted James' head in an effort to keep him from crying as the wind howled around us.

Just as tears began to well in his eyes, Doron pitched down. I propped my head up and looked down over his side as Veracon followed Magar and May down towards the ground. I squinted in a futile attempt to make light of what the four of them were pursuing, but I was unable to make anything out for a moment. Then, a small group of tents emerged from the green fields that surrounded them. My heart began beating faster as nerves flooded my body, now knowing for certain what our welcome would be. I knew it wasn't our camp however. It was much to small. Regardless, the four dragons pulled to the side and began circling around over head-calling out to whoever was inhabiting the camp.

Not a moment later, dozens upon dozens of people, all seemingly young men emerged from the poorly constructed  tents-all looking up at us with clear shook on their distant faces. Without hesitation, I pushed down on Doron's neck-prompting him to land at the edge of the small camp. Doron held his head proudly above the men, though the other three remained air born. Cautiously, I made my way to the ground, with my two children still clinging to me.

"My Queen...?" One of the men younger said before dropping to one knee-his long hair covering his face as he looked down.

I cocked one of my eyebrows.

"You still take me as your Queen?" I asked in reply.

He nodded, while still keeping his head pointing to the ground.

I chuckled at his loyalty.

"Rise young man." I said.

He shook his head.

"I will not my Queen. Your presence demands respect." He said as he turned to look at the other men.

"Kneel for the Queen you maggots!" He shouted.

"Kneel for the Queen! Kneel for the Queen!" One of the other men further back shouted.

All at once, the entire camp knelt before me as Doron purred-his massive head hanging over mine.

"Now you may rise." I said proudly-feeling as though I once again had power.

He looked up at me momentarily, before rising to his shaky feet.

"What are you doing out here on your own?" I asked the young man.

"We're scouts my Queen. Sir Ivan demanded scout crews man patrol our borders, then send messengers back to the main camps should an attack be possible to happen. There are now hundreds of small groups with one-hundred or so men each. All young men, capable and willing to fight and die in a bloody slaughter." The young man said.

I tilted my head slightly to the side, before looking down disparagingly. The young man seemed surprised at my facial expression, before speaking.

"You already know?" He asked timidly.

I nodded.

"How?" He asked.

"We destroyed a fleet of ships as we set back to the coast most camp, and in the process we managed to capture a prisoner. He's held by the Purple Queen and her rider. Upon arrival, he'll be questioned." I replied.

The young man smiled.

"Only a brave, smart, and skilled Queen could carry out such an act with only a handful of others at her back." He said.

I gave him a friendly nod.

"Well, if that is the case, am I to believe that I will be welcomed with open arms upon my return?" I asked.

The young man nodded. 

"We will accompany you back to vouch for you, should you allow it." The young man said.

"You have orders to remain here do you not? I don't wish to incriminate you." I replied.

He smiled.

"You are my Queen. You are our Queen. No matter what any other man may say, we live to serve you. We are yours to command, my Queen." Said the young man as he once again knelt.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!