304

"The stars are really quite a sight, aren't they..." I said as my legs dangled over the cliffs edge-the two of us looking out over the endless ocean.

"That it is. It'd be nice for the entire world to be as peaceful as the ocean is tonight." Amy replied.

I shrugged my shoulders, then looked up at the four dragons soaring around high above us-with only their silhouettes visible against the star filled sky. The ocean triumphed over their distant calls, making them sound even more distant, almost methodical. A truly humbling sight and song.

"Do you think we'll ever get to fly back that way?" Bailey asked, speaking of the horizon in the direction of our home land.

I shrugged again.

"Perhaps one or two of us will, but after what happened during the rescue, i'm skeptical that all three of us will go unharmed until the wars end." I replied softly.

"Perhaps we cut our losses and return home, rather than fight and possibly die during a war that isn't ours. We have four large dragons. If we returned home we could easily rule over the people there with little to no opposition." Bailey said.

Amy and I both looked to her, displeased.

"It's not about having power. I never wanted power. I wanted to liberate. And because of that I lost my sister, both of my partners, one of my dragons, and one of my friends. My parents died as well, though they died before my rebellion began." I replied.

Bailey shook her head in frustration.

"I didn't fly over here to die in a war that won't bring those who survive any power." She said.

"Again it's not about power. We flew here to end this war because it has come to our home twice before, and caused endless suffering. Ending this war will ensure that those who remain in the world will live lives of peace, and do so in relative safety." I replied.

For a moment, we all sat in silence. I was spared the crying of my children, as they were left in the care of dozens of servants back at my quarters. The stars lit up the ocean like torches, and the sound of waves breaking against the cliff base below was soothing and seemed to relieve any tension that I was feeling at the time.

"I never thought dragons would exist again. No-one did. You did something that nobody though was possible. But you did. You brought them back, and you gave me one. For that, I thank you, and I'd be honored to die at your side." Amy said-breaking the silence.

I chuckled.

"I didn't think they'd ever come back either. We brought three back, that soon turned to ten, then hundreds, thousands even. Now, only four remain. You both need to understand that by the wars end, there may be no dragons left in the world. And all three of us may be dead. We may even suffer a defeat, and those who follow us will all be slaughtered. That possibility was never thrown away. We lost one dragon and our friend already. Expect to see more of those that you feel attached to fall in the line of duty." I said.

Amy sighed, looking up at the sky as Veracon passed in front of the moon.

"I'd rather die a free woman than as a slave. I say we fly into battle and fight to the last breath." Amy said confidently.

"How will we know when it's time anyways?" Bailey asked.

"Sir Ivan has scouts at our borders. We'll know they're approaching before they have the chance to attack." I replied.

She sighed, before standing up next to me.

"Well then, I guess we should enjoy our last days." She said before turning and walking away.