328

The sun was slowly rising into the sky, though the stars still numerous and dotting the sky. Doron's wings beat against the air occasionally, though he much preferred to glide. I myself was struggling to hold my head above my shoulders, my body not yet fully awake. My hands clung to my dragons back, however raw and delicate they felt. The landscape was open and bare, except for patches of trees dotting the landscape. 

"Come on, come on, tell me I didn't get lied to." I said softly under my breath.

I said this referring the the trio of mountains I was told to look for, which I did not see to my dismay. Doron panned his head back and forth, seemingly searching for the mountains as well. I looked back over my shoulder, and the volcano had shrunk from a powerful, dominant figure standing out among the landscapes other features, to a tiny stone sitting on the horizon line. I turned back to look ahead, but this time looking ahead would yield a great reward.

"Mountains!" I exclaimed as three peaks came into view.

My heart started racing. Perhaps I would truly be able to ensure the safety of the innocent of the world with one final, decisive strike between those mountains. I gripped my blade, though it wouldn't do me much good perched high above by my target. 

"Stay high, don't get to low or we'll be in range of potential weapons." I said as we closed on the mountains. 

As we got closer, it became clear that we were plenty high enough to avoid being fired on should an ambush be waiting for us. I held my breath as nerves flooded through my body, my hands trembling with anticipation.

Doron banked left slightly, flapping his wings twice as he flew around the base of the nearest mountain. Not making a sound, we continued around until the field between the three mountains, along with a lake covering he fourth end came into view. Within the space between the three mountains, was a small group of tents and fires, surrounded by five long range bows and harpoons. Within a second or so of Doron coming into the view of the camp, he dropped down to attack, but several harpoons and arrows came flying up at us, one of them striking Doron in the right leg. He jolted back and screeched before ascending back up out of range of the weapons, pulling the arrow from his leg with his jaws.

"Stay high! Stay high!" I shouted as Doron circled around the camp, looking for an opening to dive in and attack. 

I watched as those who inhabited the camp scrambled, trying to flee into the trees. I was determined not to allow any of them to escape, but I didn't see a way to get close enough without being killed. As my brain scrambled to find a solution, I heard a noise. A sound. A call. One i'd heard before, though I couldn't recall exactly what it was I was hearing. It was Doron calling out, but I had no idea what it was he was calling to. As he fell silent, he rose even higher into the air, though I repeatedly commanded him to attack. He circled around, drawing fire for longer than I felt was necessary, and needles to say I was starting to grow frustrated with him not responding to me, when I began to hear screams below. 

Confused, I looked down, and was surprised and somewhat shocked at the sight of wolves, bears, deer and several other animals rushing through the camp, taking down several of those who had already started to flee. I grinned at the realization at where I had heard that call before.

"Land!" I shouted.

Doron let out a roar, before circling around, descending until he reached the ground. I slide down his wings with my blade in hand as the numerous species of animals ripped apart the occupants of the camp, many of them still alive and struggling to fight off the predators, as well as numerous elk, deer, and other herbivorous animals. Doron called out over the camp, and as if on command, every animal present halted their attack. Doron made another call, and with it, the animals, as quickly as they had come to our aid, vanished into the trees once again.

"Well, it's nice to finally meet you all." I said to the few survivors, though most of them were horribly maimed and dying.

I paused a moment, contemplating what I would say next. Once I gathered my words, I began to speak.

"For generations, it has been you people who have been the reason the world has seen so much suffering. So much war, so much torture, so much death. Not past this day will any of you harm another person because of your own personal conflicts between each other, and never again will wars rage with blood being shed on your hands."

I turned around, and looked up at Doron. He grunted, before rearing his head back and spitting flames out onto what remained of the camp. The few who were still alive screamed as the flames flooded the camp, though their screams quickly died off as the roar of the flames over took them.

I stood there, numb. Unsure of what emotions to feel as I watched the camp burn. I, along with what remained of my family, had done what could not be done for generations. Just like that, years of anger and torment went up in flames, before being blown away as smoke on the wind never to be seen again. I did not know who in the camp were the individuals I had come for, but I did know that they were now dead. The final remnants of three devastating wars, gone, reduced to ash by a dragons flame.

I turned back to my dragon and looked up at him.

"We're going home."