292

My mind raced, flooded with panic as I pondered the fact that my two children may not be alive by the time I reached them. The pleasurable feeling of the wind whipping through my hair, to the dragons muscles flexing under his scales as he beat his wings was cancelled out by the fear and anxiety that my baby girl and baby boy may die a torturous death as a cost of fighting the war at hand, though I new that two-thousand men, along with their families and the families of the children were betting their lives and sanity on me leading these men to victory. I could afford to make no mistakes. 

"Look! Down in the valley!" Bailey shouted as she and Magar flew past.

I looked down at the base of a massive cliff face that overlooked a lush tree covered valley, with a shallow looking lake sitting at the base of the cliff, perhaps a mile or so long. Down in the valley, was nearly three hundred horses-the dozens of children shackled in chains as they were practically being dragged along the ground by the horses. Just a few hundred horses seemed like no real trouble, especially considering the two thousand men on horseback that were charging below us. Doron let out a powerful, intimidating roar as he dropped to just above the ground, beating his wings violently to keep himself from scrapping against the ground. The men on the ground panicked as Veracon and Ragon circled around them, spraying fire to imprison the men within a circle of fire as Magar and Doron kept their eyes on the surrounding area to keep watch for additional soldiers. As the circle of fire died down, the soldiers opened fire on our men as the charged, cutting many of them down in the process, with only a few of their own being shafted by the warriors arrows.

Veracon and Ragon ascended up above the soon to be slaughter, whilst May latched onto the cliff face and watched her parents land amidst the mass of soldiers. Bailey wasted no time making a run at the men, as Magar breathed fire down on the soldiers who were far enough away from the children, making sure not to harm them in the blaze. I ran into the crowd of children as the soldiers all dropped to their knees, drawing one of my swords as I panned my head around. After only a moment, I spotted a young girl, with both James and Jamie in her arms. Tears welled up in my eyes as I lunged for my children, both of them alive and well-albeit-terrified and crying. I kissed the two of them profusely, as Bailey began to unshackle the remaining children and guiding them over towards Magar. The surviving warriors surrounded the remaining soldiers, drawing their bows as Bailey aided the freed children as up onto Magar's Back, many of them beaten, battered and crying.

"I'm so sorry. I'll never let you get taken from me again." I said in tears as I looked down at James and Jamie.

"Kill them all." I ordered.

With great pleasure it seemed, my men slaughtered the few remaining soldiers with little effort, just as Doron took off back towards the Veracon and Ragon as they circled around over head. But, as we climbed, Doron caught wind of something that unsettled him greatly. Whilst I was relieved to have my children back in my arms, my dragons sudden change of mood had triggered a new kind of nerve within me. As I searched the area from high above, May suddenly leaped from the cliff and dove back down towards Magar-calling out to her desperately. Feeling my heart sink, I looked back towards the long, endless cliff face-to see many thousands of soldiers scrambling to line its edge.

"Holy shit! It's a fucking trap!" I screamed as I guided Doron back down towards Magar.

Cannon shots began to ring out into the air as Veracon and Ragon turned towards the cliff, with May hugging the underside of Doron as he swerved to avoid a cannon shot that nearly tore through his wing. Doron called out to Magar, but Bailey refused to leave the remaining children on the ground. But, when the cannons and gunmen atop the cliff opened fire on the ground, most of the children that had yet to mount the Purple Queen were struck down and killed in their chains.

"We're going to get killed up here! Get in the air now!" I screamed to Bailey.

Somehow avoiding the rain of fire from the cliffs, Bailey managed to remount her dragon, though as the dragon took to the air, several more children were shot and killed as she ascended. 

"To the cliffs! Defend her!" I shouted as Doron turned towards our attackers, along with Veracon and Ragon.

The three dragons dove on the crews lining the cliff, spewing a deadly stream of colored flames down on the men below as May and Magar began to rise towards us. Doron banked away from the cliff as Ragon flew past-spitting fire at a crew that fired a massive harpoon towards Veracon. The cliffs were coated in bright green and gold flames as the two dragons continued their assault, miraculously both still aloft.

"We're going to die here. Some of us are going to die protecting them." I thought as Veracon and Ragon continued their assault on the cliffs.

"Go! You've got your kids! Get out of here!" Amy shouted as she and Veracon banked circled back towards the cliff.

Knowing that my children's lives were at stake, I turned my dragon back to Join Magar and May as they flew to meet us. But, as I watched the golden dragon spat his golden fire down on the cliffs, I spotted a massive, shiny harpoon tip training towards us, with dozens of men pointing our way. But, only a second before Doron turned to face it, Veracon turned to the harpoon, and a green stream of fire shot over my head as Ragon passed over head. But, the green dragons flame struck only the cliffs rocky face. I watched as the two beasts closed on the men that threatened me and my children, both creatures spitting fire. But, Veracon suddenly banked away as a cannon fired a single shot towards him, leaving only Ragon to rid us of the harpoon threat that still loomed. As we flew past however, I watched in shook and horror as the harpoon flew from its mount, dodging the green dragons flame-before impaling Ragon through the neck as he flew straight at the cliff.

"NO!" I screamed as tears again started to pour down my face, clenching my children tighter than I ever had.

The cries of pain carried out through the sky as Ragon fell from the air, blood spraying across the rocky cliff face as the dragon slammed into the rock as Veracon and Magar both called out for their bright green comrade. The dragons blood sprayed out from the open wound as the cliff collapsed from the impact, killing many of the men perched upon it. Those who survived the onslaught however, cheered as Ragon gave one final flap of his wings-before colliding with the shallow lake that sat next to the enormous cliff face.

I felt as though everything went silent for a moment, as the only sounds that I could still hear were those of Bailey sobbing from Magar's back, as well as Veracon still calling out for the slain Ragon, though he still flew along side Doron and May. I looked back at the green corpse that lay in the blood red waters, before the clouds over took us with our ascent.