204

The four of us, along with our four cell mates all looked up at the clouds, as the soldiers behind us scrambled to get into position. I felt my heart beating out of my chest as the silence flowed over us briefly. 

"Do you really think it's them?" Bailey asked.

"It's not just them. It's him." I replied.

My breathing grew heavy, the soldiers horses whining in fear as the unseen threat grew closer. By now nearly everyone had woken, and many of them seemed to be in a panic. Amy and Tahli stepped to my side. I felt Amy's hand come to rest on my shoulder as a tear slowly dripped down my cheek.

After a moment, I heard the faint flapping of wings, then another, slightly larger set of wings joined, followed by several more joining in. After a moment, there were dozens of wings flapping above the clouds, but still unseen. 

"Brace! Brace!!" One soldier shouted.

Then, after what seemed like an eternity, a dragon dropped through the clouds.

"It's May!" Bailey shouted.

The little dragon slowly approached, screeching and hissing.

"Shoot it down!" A soldier yelled.

But, just before the sound of guns filled the air, dozens of much larger dragons suddenly appeared the clouds and dove on the camp. 

"Holy shit! Open fire!"

All at once, hundreds of guns went off. But none of the dragons fell as they dove on the camp. I turned back to the clouds, as Magar appeared, alongside Veracon and Ragon.

"It's Veracon!" Amy shouted in delight.

"Ragon as well!" Tahli added.

"And Magar! She's still alive!" Bailey shouted as she began to cry.

Just as they started their dive, one last dragon, bigger than all the rest came through the clouds, its scales black as night.

"It's Doron!" I shouted.

His wings were massive, dwarfing everything around him as he confidently descended on the camp with what looked like the last of his kind. He let out a mighty roar, and all at once, the dragons split up and all dove on the camp at once, spitting fire down on the camp, but avoiding the cages we were all locked in. Soldiers fired their weapons blindly up at the sky, though their weapons had no affect on the dragons diving on them. Dragons made quick passes, burning small sections of the camp with each pass. The sound of dragons and guns was deafening, but was also the source of a relief I never thought I would feel. Veracon and Ragon flew wing tip to wing tip, strafing the camp as the remaining dragons cleared the air for them to pass over. And just as they finished their pass, Doron flew over, lighting what remained of the camp up with his flaming breath. The soldiers screamed as they burned, with only a few escaping and running for their lives. A few of the smaller dragons, though still very large, gave chase to them and easily took them out with a few quick blast of flame. I looked around at the other cells just then. Everyone was either cowering in fear, or hunched down on the ground. One older lady was curled up in the corner of her cell, seemingly singing with her eyes closed, clearly expecting to die that day.

After a several minutes of screaming and fighting, the sky began to fall silent. Then, one by one, several thuds sounded across the now destroyed camp. Some were much heavier than others, and one shook the ground so hard, that I nearly fell to the ground. Though the smoke obscured our view of the camp, but it was clear to me what had caused the loud, ground shaking thuds experienced only a moment earlier.

"My gosh... What was that?" One of our cell mates asked.

"Dragons. They've come back for us." I replied.

"What? You've got to be kidding me. Like that's a real thing." She said.

"Oh, just you wait." I replied.

After a moment, the smoke was broken by the head of a dragon. The dragon swayed its head back and fourth several times, before finally locking his eyes on me. I looked into his eyes and instantly felt the connection I had lost, and thought I would never again feel. His eyes were shimmering, and full of emotions.

"Hello Doron." I said.