275

1 Week Later

"Miss! Sir Ivan has sent for you!"

I stood from around my fire as the sun slowly set over the horizon at the end of another rather uneventful day. As I rose to my feet, with my children still clutched close in my arms, two men were riding towards me.

"And why would that be?" I asked.

After closing the distance between us, the spoke.

"That, we do not know. He has simply requested that you meet with him at once. We will take you to his quarters. Leave your children with your trusted companions, and join us if you will."

I shrugged my shoulders before bending down and handing Jamie and James to Amy and Tahli, before starting towards the men on horse back. I pulled myself up onto the horses back, before we started back through the camp. We rode to the top of a hill, away from the remainder of the camp and the majority of its people. The rider of my horse helped me down, before showing me into one of the five tents, then returning to his horse.

"Ah, Jessica! So nice of you to join me this evening. I hope I am not of any bother to you." He said as he motioned for me to sit down.

I shook my head.

"No sir, no bother. What can I do for you?" I asked as I sat down.

He hunched forward, looking me in the eyes.

"In three days time, this entire camp of roughly twenty-thousand soldiers will march to the north and east. Our scouts have spotted a massive formation of Marvin soldiers closing in behind a smaller group of Canster soldiers, who are presumably on their way to avenge the Canster defeat that took place a week ago from today. Our plan is to surround the Marvin's after the Canster's are defeated and take them out." He said.

"You are certain the Marvin's will take the battle?" I asked.

He nodded.

"The Marvin soldiers inbound outnumber their foes an estimated three to one. It will be more of a slaughter than a battle." He replied.

"And you say this camp, how many camps do you have then?" I asked curiously.

"Hundreds. Each with their own leaders. We are the farthest from the war itself, as well as one of the smallest. Because of that, we house our king within our tents. Keeping his excellency, John the fourth away from the war at all costs is our only hope. He is an expert commander. His presence was the cause for the march on our camp during which you helped defend." He replied.

I paused a moment.

"So... What is it you wished of me then?" I asked.

He raised his head as he straightened his back.

"I would like to ask you and your group to stay behind. You have two newborns to care for, and your death would do them no good. Regardless of their existence, the battle field is no place for a women. Especially not one as frail as yourself." He replied.

I narrowed my eyes, irritated, before standing up.

"Sir, with all due respect. I've probably killed more people than anyone on this sack of land could ever hope to kill."

He chuckled.

"You, or your dragon?" He replied.

"Have you ever met someone who could tame a dragon? Someone who can bring them back from extinction? I think not. I will be fighting hard on the battlefield. I've torn organs from men as they screamed for mercy before death. I may be small, but I'm tougher than any of you could ever hope to be. That will be all. I look forward to seeing you on the battlefield." I said as I turned and stormed out of the tent.

"Wait! Wait!" He shouted.

I paused, before turning back into the tent.

"What?" I asked, now annoyed.

"You no longer have the power of your dragon, or his friends. They have flown off to take back his freedom. Those creatures wouldn't last a single minute against a force the size of the ones we are facing now. If you wish to take part in this war, you must be willing to fight from the ground, on horseback. Your dragons are not numerous enough to be of any use. I do apologize for the harsh words, but they needed to be said." He said.

I walked fully back into the tent, shutting the tarp covering the opening behind me.

"Well, your excellency, the day that I am allowed to call upon the forces of dragons, will be the day this war will be set to end. If you wish to sacrifice untold numbers of people due to your leaders stubborn attitude, then so be it. But, my offer will always stand." I said as I turned back and exited the tent. 

I swung myself up onto the horses back, and motioned with my head to bring me back. I could tell the two men were a bit perplexed, but they clearly knew better than two ask questions. Without a word from either of them, we turned, and started back down the hill towards the camp.