316

"Jess?" Bailey said as she made her way into my tent, tears rolling down her face.

My eyes fluttered as I woke up, the early morning light barely making its way into the tent. I stood up as James and Jamie quietly sat down next to each other on the bed in the corner of the tent.

"Yes? What is it?" I asked, worried.

She said nothing, only motioning for me to follow her outside. I followed her outside the tent, to see Sir Ivan and several men, along with three young women, all of which were covered in blood on their hands, standing in a huddle around the tents entrance. 

"What is it? What's going on?" I asked, this time more urgently.

Sir Ivan stepped forward, sadness on his face.

"My Queen... I'm-I'm sorry to tell you that your friend died in the night. These young ladies worked to save her life, but she's moved on. If it makes you feel any better, she died in her sleep. She wouldn't have felt any pain. Again, I'm sorry." He said as he dipped his head.

I felt my heart start to beat much faster as Bailey wrapped her arms around mine, burying her head in my shoulder as she whimpered. I sighed as I pressed my face up against the top of Bailey's head-a tear rolling down my face.

"Would you like to see her?" Sir Ivan asked softly.

I nodded as I sniffled, whipping a tear away from my eye. He nodded, before turning towards one of the other tents that was set up behind mine. I walked in, violently throwing the entrance cover out of my way before walking in. Once I did, I froze in place as I was met with the sight of Amy laying lifeless on the bed in the center of the tent. Bailey clung to me as we both slowly approached her body, though she was making no attempt to hide her feelings. Unlike Tahli, Amy looked just the same as she had before her death, looking as if she was no more than sleeping. I stood motionless as Bailey bent down and kissed Amy on her forehead, before pressing the side of her face against Amy's chest as she let out a sob that lasted for several minutes before finally quieting down. I don't know why I reacted the way I did, but I didn't sob. At least not then. I just stood their as my entire body went numb and limp, feeling weak and powerless. 

"My Queen, are you alright?" One of the guards asked.

I nodded without saying a word.

Sir Ivan patted me on the shoulder, before turning and stepping outside the tent. Years ago I'd thought that my dragons would be invincible for all time, and that one day I would be able to use them to reign unopposed, protecting my people from those who would harm them. But having lost two of the three dragons that started the uprising that dawned the three wars, I was starting to think that our quest would be made no more than fruitless. Three dragons remained in the world, but I felt as though they had never been there to begin with.