212

The sky was once again calm, with nothing but the clouds, sun, and the sight of dragons peacefully gliding through the still sky. Magar flew out in front of the others, scanning the ground for any signs of Doron. I fully expected to see his body flipped over on the ground, broken and torn, dead where he landed. I didn't want to look to the ground, fearing that's what I would see, but, I forced myself too. After only a few minutes, I spotted Doron off to our right. But, to my surprise, he wasn't on the ground dying or dead. He was back in the air, gliding towards us from below.

"There he is!" I shouted as I pointed in his direction

Magar exclaimed happily as she banked towards him, leaving the others behind without giving it a second thought. I felt an unrivalled sense of relief as he got closer and closer. I had to hold myself back from jumping from Magar's back to get to him, as I likely would end up falling to my death. As he flew over head, cawing at Magar, I got a good look at the damage done during the fighting. He had four long gashes on his underside that likely would have been fatal on a smaller dragon. He had blood covering his wing, having come from the wound on his shoulder, and as he circled around us, I could see a deep gash on his face, going over his left eye, leaving it a permanent blood red colour. I could see a large crater in the ground far below, clearly from where he hit the ground in his fall. 

"He looks somewhat hurt. I'm surprised that he managed to get back into the air after all of that." Bailey said.

 Bailey was right. Given the size of the crater, and the brutality of his fight, I was stunned that he was flying past us. I was almost positive he would end up dead after his engagement with the other dragon mid flight.

Magar turned and followed him as he passed the other dragons by, quickly acknowledging them as he passed them, heading back towards the recently calm battle ground. The flight back was uneventful, only lasting all of a few short minutes. As we flew flew towards the few survivors, the sight of the countless dead hit me hard. Harder than it had before. As we landed, that's all I could focus on as I dismounted Magar. After a moment though, my attention quickly turned to Doron as he approached me, blood still dripping from his open wounds.

"My gosh! How? How did you fly? I thought you were certain to die!" I screamed as I ran to him.

He lowered his head to me and moaned happily as I hugged his massive snout, ignoring the drying blood. I felt tears welling up in my eyes as I looked back up at him, still stunned at his odd speed of recovery. 

"He's a real beast, capable of surviving anything." Said a male voice.

I turned around, curious about the unfamiliar voice I had just heard. When I turned around, I was faced with a group of people, bloodied and battered from the fighting, looking at me with sad eyes, one of them holding a young woman who had died in the fighting over her shoulder, with a blank, yet sad look on her face.

I sighed.

"I'm sorry. I know many of you probably lost people you were very close with today. But I promise you, their deaths won't be in vain." I said.

Most of them kept their blank faces, but one young man, probably still a teenager, gave me a slight smile to my response.

I smiled back at him.

"Come. Let's honour our dead." I said.