246

I was somewhat perplexed. Noah seemed to be rather tired compared to the rest of us from the excitement that took place during the day, so I wasn't expecting to have him say he wanted to hear me blabber on about the fighting of the past, but so be it. I Unfolded the page slowly, taking care to not damage it.

"You all want more?" I asked the others as they gazed at me through the roaring flames.

The three of them exchanged looks, before nodding one after the other.

"In a few days or weeks, we could all easily be dead. So we might as well hear it all." Tahli said under the crackling of the fire.

I shrugged my shoulders, and looked back down at the book.

"Duel 

Starlight and I had set off on a scout of the area we had set down in, which was far behind the front lines of the fighting. Having suffered a brutal loss of three dragons and there riders just a few days prior, what remained of us had moved back in an effort to only combat the smaller dragons, knowing that the larger ones would surely be kept safe unless they were all that remained to fight. Yesterday, Yurkon, Forion, Zavinano, Polirano, Byrion, Jumio, Vertio, and Hugon, along with their riders, set off to the north, prepared to fight in close quarters with the main force defending the king, leaving only Teramex, Sun Ray, Bloom, Golden tip, Sloono, and Starlight behind to engage the smaller dragons that may attempt a flanking move to attack from the rear, or to engage any soldiers who attempt a similar move. The sky was clear, with not a cloud to be seen in any direction. We were nearing the turning point of our scout, and were about to turn back, when Starlight caught wind of something. It didn't take long for the before then unseen dragon to show itself, diving from out of the sun behind us. As the dragon approached rapidly, it struck me as a dragon I had seen once before.

"Vermon!" I shouted.

Almost instantly, the sky erupted into a fury of flames as the two dragons took shots at one another, neither landing any fatal hits. Starlight was a patient dragon, so she seemed to think her moves through before acting, as opposed to her opponent who would strike at every chance he came across, regardless of his chances. The fighting didn't last long however. Vermon rushed Starlight, but misjudged his speed and trajectory, instead finding himself directly in the path of Starlight's deadly flame. The flames seemed to wound the dragon, but not bring him to the ground, so Starlight latched onto Vermon's tail with her teeth and forcibly ripped it from his body, spilling blood in all directions as the now fatally wounded dragon plummeted towards the ground far below.

Starlight broke into a glide as her victim screamed in pain as he fell to the ground, until his screams were little more than violent whispers in my ears. This fight was far shorter and less violent than the one prior, only lasting a few minutes before one of the two duelling dragons fell from the sky, its rider with it.

"Good job girl. Now take us home. Don't want to get ambushed by one larger than you." I said to my dragon."

I sighed as I folded the page and closed the book.

"I think that's enough for the night." I said.

Without a word, everyone rested down for the night, closing their eyes one by one, until all who remained was myself. I too laid down, next to Noah, but I couldn't sleep right away. I was concerned with a strange feeling in my stomach, and the fact that I hadn't bled in a good long while.