234

The Next Morning

I woke the next morning, covered in the dew that coated the endless grass that surrounded me. It took me only a moment to realise that Noah had curled up beside me, asleep on his side, facing me. I brushed his hair aside to reveal his face as he slept, though my brush nearly woke him. 

"Sleep good?" Bailey asked, startling me as I spun around to greet her.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah. Sorry. Yeah I slept fine, for what it's worth. I think we need to get a move on though." I said.

It was then that I noticed that Doron had already woke, along with Ragon And Mager. The three of them were fixed in a direction that seemed to run along the river we had slept beside.

"They sense something..." Bailey said.

"Yes. And I've got a feeling it's something bad. Let's get moving." I replied.

"Wake up! We've got to go!" I exclaimed as I spun around to Amy and Tahli.

They both stumbled to their feet at my yells.

"Get yourselves ready. We've got to go. No time to waste." I ordered.

They both nodded, and started scrambling to gather their things. I turned back to Doron and shouted to him.

"Wake the others!" I shouted.

Without hesitation, Doron raised his head up high and let out a roar that echoed across the empty landscape, waking the dragons that still slept, and presumably the army we had conjured up where they slept.

"My bow." I said to Bailey as I gestured to my bow that was laying on the river bank.

She bent down to it, and handed it to me swiftly. I gave her a nod and gestured with my head for her to make her way to Magar. She obliged, and took off towards her dragon.

"What's all the fuss?" Tahli said as she put her bow over her shoulder.

"I'm not sure, but it seems as though they've picked up on something off in that direction." I said as I pointed in the direction the dragons had been fixed on.

Tahli leaned to the side to look over my shoulder, just as Ragon propped his head up and looked down at her, all the while Doron continued to bellow out roars that carried for miles.

"Well, can't argue with that." She said before taking off towards Ragon.

Amy and I locked eyes, freezing her in place mid run. We both exchanged brief nods, before silently taking off towards our respective mounts. I hurriedly clambered up Doron's wing, giving the command to fly before I even had a chance to grab hold of his spines. As per my command, Doron spread his enormous wings and took to the air, with the others following close behind. The sound of dozens of wings flapping at the same time was rather dizzying, but comforting at the same time.

"What is it that you've picked up on?" I asked.

Doron started scanning the ground below as we passed over the still readying army below. He seemed almost paranoid, even briefly looking over his shoulder at one point, even making eye contact with me for only a moment. I was confused at this, but then Doron switched his gaze up to the clouds above him. For a moment, I felt my heart drop at the fact that we would surely be ambushed from above, but Doron then switched his gaze down to the ground once again.

"We can't risk the lives of our warriors until we absolutely need them. Tell Magar to take the others back. The three of us will go on alone." I said to Doron. 

Doron obeyed my command, and gave a series of vocalisations to Magar as she flew along side him. A moment later, she banked away cawing and chirping, with the other dragons turning away to follow her, with May flying close by her the entire time.

"Right... Just the six of us." I said to myself.

The three dragons flew wing tip to wing tip with each other, constantly scanning the ground below. Then, after several seemingly endless minutes of nothing, all three of them zeroed in on a single spot far off in the distance. I squinted, trying to see what it was I was seeing. It quickly became clear that what was ahead of us was a sizeable battalion of soldiers that was unprepared for battle, based on the lack of movement below. While it had taken us nearly a half hour to reach our perceived target, we had found them now.

"Well, just like old times. Just the three of you." I said.