252

For a moment, I thought that the intensity of war had made me go mad. But, I quickly came to the harsh realisation that war had claimed yet another relatively innocent victim, and left him in the wake.

"Noah!" I screamed as I jolted forward, basically falling to his side.

Bailey came to my side as I rolled Noah onto his back, blood gushing from two gunshot wounds in his torso as he gasped for air.

"Amy! Amy!" I shouted desperately as I looked around for her and Veracon.

Only a moment after I called out her name, her and Tahli both came running as their two dragons held back, keeping watch over us with Doron and Magar. Amy practically shoved me to the ground as she started wrapping thick layers of cloth around Noah's body, in a futile attempt to cut off the blood flow to the wounds.

"Is he going to be okay?!" I asked frantically.

"I don't know! Just, ju-just give me a minute. I'll figure something out." Amy replied in an equally frantic voice.

I stumbled to my feet and ran my hands through my hair in utter frustration as Bailey clung to Tahli like a newborn to her mother. I had only known Noah for a short while, but seeing what I currently was, was more than to much for me to handle. I collapsed to the ground sobbing as Amy did everything she could to save Noah's life, all the while more men and women came charging from the trees, many of them being cut down only seconds after emerging.

"GET US OUT!" I screamed up at the sky in frustration and terror.

All around us, lay dead men, women and horses, with several dragons having been shot from the sky, now just more casualties of the needless war surrounding us. One who does not experience war can never truly appreciate the intensity and devastation of its losses.

"Jess, come here." Amy said as she motioned for me to join her.

Sniffling, I crawled on my hands and knees over to her as she held her now blood covered hand over the wound in Noah's chest. She gave me a disturbingly sad look as she lightly shook her head from side to side. I felt a sense of devastation drop over me at that moment as I turned my head towards Noah's, who had his eyes firmly locked on mine. I gently placed my hand on his check as sweat poured down his face, which was warm and firmed with tension.

"A-Are you okay?" I asked through my tears.

He lightly nodded his head.

"G-g-g-g-g-go east. T-Take m-m-ma-ny mon-ths. Isl-ands al-l-long the wa-ay. P-Place for y-ou to l-land." He said as he stuttered, fighting for air.

"Go? Go where?" I asked as I brushed his hair out of his eye.

"M-My ho-me la-nd. Y-you must end the w-ar. You will fi-nd my peo-ple on the co-ast line. Ask for chief Jac-kson." He said, still fighting for air.

I shook my head. He nodded his back. The silent disagreement between us both continued for nearly a minute, before I finally spoke.

"I-I can't." I said as I fought to hold back my tears.

He grew a strange look on his face as his body began to shake violently.

"Wh-hy?"

I sighed.

"I'm pregnant."