227

I woke the next morning, earlier than usual. The sound of soldiers shouting was nothing I wasn't now used to, but it wasn't a mass of soldiers uttering commands. . It was instead the sound of a few soldiers shouting as they ran through a gate off to our left on horse back. I shook Noah to wake him, before hurrying to the front of the cell to try and figure out what was happening. While they were to far for me to properly make out what they were saying, I could sense something was wrong. I watched curiously, trying to figure out what was happening.

"What the hell is going on? They seem to be spooked by something." Noah said.

I nodded in agreement, but I was just as clueless as he was.

"I don't know what's going on, but it can't be good." I said as I pressed my face up against the bars of the cell.

In the back of my mind, I hoped it was my own people, but I was fairly certain that it wasn't. I instead assumed that they were preparing to quickly slaughter us all, before abandoning the prison we were trapped in, in favour of a more luxurious location. 

"Get the weapons! Arm yourselves! We're under attack!" One soldier shouted as he ran past us with several guns in his hand.

I watched as soldiers lined up, facing the gates lining the fence with their weapons, with more soldiers perched up on the top of the fence with weapons of their own. I wanted to feel optimistic, but I was afraid to set myself up for disappointment in the likely event that the attack was coming from a stray group of slaves. 

"Stay back from the bars, and get to the ground. If they start firing, there's a good chance some shots will come our way accidentally." Noah said as he crouched down to the ground. 

I did the same, though reluctant to do so. I would much rather have stayed up against the cells cold bars to see what was happening. Then, an idea briefly passed through my mind. I recalled a small hole in the wall behind me, just large enough to look through. I paused for a moment, before flipping over and jumping to my feet. I scanned the wall for a few seconds, quickly locating the hole in the wall as the small amount of light from the sun passed through it.

"What are you doing?!" Noah exclaimed.

"Looking. I'm just looking. Relax." I replied as I pressed my face up against the whole.

At first, I didn't know what I was looking at. All I could see was a monstrous cloud of dust on the horizon.

"What is it?!" Noah asked frantically.

"I-I don't know. It's just a dust cloud." I replied.

Just as I finished my sentence, I started to hear countless voices. I tried to make them out, but it sounded like nothing more than screaming. But organised screaming. 

"War cries." I said softly.

"War cries? By who?" Noah asked.

I opened my mouth to utter a response. But, just as I did, a loud, bold, land shaking roar from above shot through the camp, nearly knocking me to my feet.