281

2 Months Later

It was a pleasant change to be recognized as a person of importance. I had been moved to King Johns former quarters, up atop a hill a fair distance from the camp, with Sir Ivan's tent and a few others that held my selected guards around it. I had been fitted with proper armor and weaponry, consisting of a much better bow, two daggers, a short sword and a long sword, and a spike. In addition, I was fitted with a thick chest place, iron shoulder platting, leg and arm armor, and even a helmet when needed. Amy, Tahli and Bailey had been fitted with the same suit of protective armor, but their weaponry had been limited to just a long sword and their bows. Jamie and James were both under constant care from a dozen female care givers that took over when ever I was unable to tend to them. I was sitting at a table within my tent, trying to decide on whether or not to send a group of men to engage a small group of Marvin soldiers seen traveling in the direction of a small band of Trevaro soldiers spotted moving north for reasons unknown to us. As I sat there debating with Tahli and Amy, the cover to the entrance of my tent flung open.

"Your Excellency, if I may, you have a visitor." One of my guards exclaimed as he entered my tent and bowed.

"Yes, what is it?" I asked as I straightened my back and sat up in my chair.

"You have a visitor. He wishes for a word." The guard replied.

I nodded, and the guard left the tent briefly, before returning with a tall man, who had a young girl, perhaps fourteen years of age with him. The man was being helped in my one of the guards, and I quickly realized that this was due to the mans lack of a right leg. I grew a grin on my face when I saw the young girls excitement.

"Hello sir, please, sit." I said as Tahli and Amy pulled back two chairs for the man and his daughter to sit on.

"Your excellency, I hope I am not of any bother, but I have a rather odd request for you." The man said as he and his daughter sat down.

I cocked my head back, curious as to the mans proposition.

"And what would that be?" I asked in replied.

The man hesitated.

"Well, see, I fought along side you in the battle against the Marvin's after they slaughtered the Canster's, and I feel as though my life was saved by one of your dragons. The one that attacked from the clouds. The black one." He said.

"Doron. That's his name." I said with a chuckle.

"Yes! Him. Now, see, my daughter has not yet seen any of them up close. She's been on me for months about getting to see one in person, and it finally got on my nerves enough to make the request. I know you have much better things to do." He said as he looked down.

I chuckled.

"A fair request. I assume you lost your leg in that fight then?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Yes, shot through twice. Had a nice young woman cut it off with an ax when I was carried back." He replied.

"Was she your wife?" I asked.

He sighed.

"No, she had her throat torn out many years ago during a raid." He replied.

I paused, somewhat surprised at his response.

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she can be avenged." I replied.

He shrugged his shoulders as his daughter kept her eyes locked on me.

"How old are you dear?" I asked as I shifted my gaze to her.

"Fifteen, your excellency." She replied.