307

The Bright Red and white flames stuck out against the dark yet star filled bight sky-sparks flying about with every crackle of the otherwise silent flames. The silhouette of three dragons against the night sky, whilst the fourth, and the largest slept off to the side-masked by darkness and known to be present only by the puffs of his lungs.

"Sure is beautiful... Isn't it." Amy said as she looked up to the stars.

I nodded in agreement, as I too looked up at the stars. 

"I remember a time where i'd fly above the clouds at night, surrounded by stars and glowing clouds lit by the moons light. It never fails to lighten my day." I replied.

Bailey suddenly stood up and began pacing around, visibly disturbed and frustrated. Amy and I looked at each other for a second, before I too stood up and started towards her.

"Are you alright?" I asked, concerned.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just stressed out from this whole thing. Death, destruction, pain, suffering, it just doesn't all seem worth it. Some days i'm just tempted to hop on Magar's back and fly home in the dark of night. I'm tired of almost getting killed around every corner I turn." She said, clearly aggravated. 

I sighed, not yet having a reasonable response to give her. Her point was valid to its core, but I knew I didn't want to tell her that.

"I know it seems senseless, but our sacrifice and risk will hopefully ensure a safe and peaceful existence for those who come after us. Once we can win this last battle, we can go home." I said tenderly.

She looked at me, visibly angry with my response. She gripped her sword handle as Magar flew over head, then shook her head and sat back down.

"I just wish it would end. There's no need for it to continue on this far." She replied.

"I agree that it's pointless, but war is very seldom fair. And this war is the many against the few. It may be unfair, but we do have four dragons, which our enemies do not. If we use them properly we can't lose." I replied.

"Use them properly? We tried that once and lost one. Back home thousands were slaughtered. You can't expect me to believe that careful flying will win this fight on its own." Bailey said firmly before looking away.

I was going to say something else, but Amy then put her hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"Just leave her be for now. She needs to cool down." She said in my ear.

I shrugged my shoulders, before going back over to where I had been sitting next to Amy. I plopped down up against a rock and let my head rest against it.

"I don't know about you, but I'd very much like to get back to see my children one last time before the camps get stormed. Perhaps we should turn back and just face the entire army at once." I said.

Amy shook her head.

"No... If we can eliminate a portion of the army now, when they're caught of guard, it might give us a leg up in the coming fight. We can cover the same distance in a day as they can in a week if we fly fast, so we'll still have time to get back and prepare after we're done here." Amy said confidently.

"Yeah, if we don't get killed. Bailey's right. This is a mess and it's pointless." I replied.

Amy patted my on the shoulder, giving me a smile.

"Relax. If we keep moving they won't be able to target us. We'll be fine." She replied.

As she finished her sentence, I looked up as Veracon flew over-the light from the stars shining through the rip in his wing. I half grinned as May joined him from the rear-the two of them vanishing into the darkness.

"Perhaps, but death is part of war. We're likely not more than a day's flight from our destination, so I suggest you enjoy what could be your last night my friend. And enjoy your time in the sky, as you soon may be condemned to the ground. Same as me. And same as her." I said despairingly.