280

Sir Ivan looked down at the ground and sighed, before looking to me and shaking his head. He mouthed something to me but I couldn't make it out. I took it to be an apology. He then motioned for a group of forty or so men to surround May and kill her. I watched helplessly as The men surrounded May as she spat her red and white flames all around her. Nearly half of the men fell with ease, but before she could take down the rest, one soldier jumped on her back and managed to secure a chain around her jaw, forcing it to remain closed. Five more men threw chains over her and secured them to the ground with long pegs, keeping her from flying away. I tried to get to her, but Sir Ivan held me back, telling me he was sorry the entire time.

"No! You cunts! Leave her alone!" I screamed as I tried to shake myself free.

They ignored me to no surprise. One soldier drew his sword and brought it up over May's head. But, only a second before he brought it down, he fell to the ground in terror as the other four dragons dropped to just above our heads, roaring and hissing as the circled around over head. Magar and Doron set down on either side of May as Veracon and Ragon landed next to Magar. Doron looked down at May, with fear in her eyes, before he turned back towards the men who had nearly killed May only seconds before.

"Pl-Please don't. W-We're sorry." One of the men said as he dropped to his knees.

Doron growled as he raised his scaled lips, showing his teeth. Without mercy, Doron sprayed flames down on the men that stood in front of him, while Magar lunged at, grabbed, and ripped apart the one soldier who had attempted to flee Doron's flames. Just as Doron held back his flames, Tahli and Amy rushed to May's aid and freed her with little difficulty.

"You useless whore! First you disobey my orders, and now your foul creatures slaughter my men?!" King John exclaimed as he drew his sword.

I chuckled as I walked over to Sir Ivan.

"My king, may I ask, have you ever killed a man?" I asked.

He seemed shaken by my question, before he started shaking his head.

"Well, I have never needed to. I have soldiers to do that for me." He replied.

I chuckled again.

"I lead my people to win two wars throughout my life. I did that by fighting along side them. I likely have more kills than any man in your army, and you dare to draw a sword on me?" I said as I placed my hand on Sir Ivan's sword handle.

King John raised his sword.

"Watch yourself child." He said with fear obvious in his voice.

"Ha. Or what?" I said sarcastically as I drew Sir Ivan's sword. Sir Ivan to afraid to intervene.

King John was panting now. He looked to a group of armed guards off to his right, but Doron grunted at him and showed his teeth, keeping the guards at bay.

"Why?! Why must we fight to the death over a simple misunderstanding?" He said, pleading with me as I approached him.

"My king, it's far to late for you to redeem yourself. You draw a sword on an experienced swords woman, you fight her to the death." I said as I broke out into a run, swinging my sword down at King John.

Our swords collided as I brought mine down on King John. I swung twice more, but King John managed to block both attempted strikes before he swung back at me. We twirled our swords around each other, each trying to find an opening to strike on the other as we slowly side stepped in a circle.

"You have never put a sword in a man. While I'll admit that your skills are fair, you will still fall on this day, my lord." I said as I swung my sword once again.

We swung our swords many times, each blocking the others attacks for several minutes, before I managed to force the tip of King John's sword to the ground for a moment, which allowed me to pull my sword up and slice into King John's leg. He cried out in pain as I brought my sword down again, only to be blocked.

I stepped back.

"Come on! Coward! Rise!" I shouted as Amy and Tahli came running to my side, each with swords of their own.

"Ah, well this doesn't seem fair, now does it? If you are allowed help, then so am I." King John said as he stumbled to his feet, blood running down his leg.

I scoffed.

"Very well. Bring your finest. We can take them." I said confidently.

I Shook my head at Doron, indicating that he was to allow King John's men to come through.

King John snapped his fingers, with six soldiers with swords coming to his side moments later.

"Seven on three? I like a challenge." I said as I brought my sword up and charged at the men, with Amy and Tahli next to me. 

Two of the men came right at me as the others attacked Amy and Tahli, with King John being one of them. I sliced into the chest of one of the men, then spinning around and shoving my sword through the throat of the other. Amy brought her sword down on another, cutting into his head before stabbing King John in the shoulder, sending him to the ground. Amy slit the throat of another as he swung at her, and Tahli and I both gutted the last two soldiers with our swords, before we all turned to look at King John, who was laying in a pool of blood on the ground.

I knelt down beside him.

"I tried to help you. I came here to help your people, and you tried to kill one of my dragons. Now, you will pay the price." I said as I stood up.

I put my sword to King John's throat, and smiled at him.

"Sleep well, my king."

I pulled the sword across his throat, and watched him die as he kept his eyes locked on me, blood spilling from his throat. For a moment, there was silence. I turned to Sir Ivan, and tossed my sword to the ground as I walked up to him.

"I sure as hell hope you'll do better than he did." I said firmly as I turned and started to walk away.

"Jessica Albo!" He shouted.

I paused, and turned around, expecting to hear him hand me a death sentence.

"On this day, you have committed a brutal crime. Luckily for you, it was a crime that needed to be committed." He said.

Tahli looked at me confused as Sir Ivan turned and faced the people watching, before he began to spin in a circle.

"On this day, those who threaten us have met their match! On this day, the coward who you called king has been slain by a woman! A woman who brings with her five mystical creatures from across the sea! Doron, the black dragon, largest of the last living dragons, with scales black as night, tipped with blood red, the same as the blood of his enemies, and a flame blacker than night! Veracon, the golden dragon with pale white accents tipping his scales, just as pale as the skin of his terrified victim, his flames come from the sun! Ragon, the dragon greener than the greenest forest, while his bright green fire may still burn forests to the ground! Magar, the purple queen! Her bright silver strips brighter than the light of the sun, and a purple yet silver flame that is more beautiful than any woman! And May! The blood Hawk! Covered in blood red, with white flowing across her scales, and a flame that would match it!" He shouted as he turned to me.

"Jessica Albo, on this day, I, Sir Ivan Foran, third of my name and second in command to the slain king John Hereby grant you full power over the people of the freedom and justice liberators. My queen, if you'll have me, it would be my honor to serve you." He said as he dropped to one one and bowed.

I didn't know what to say in that moment, but thankfully, I didn't need to.

"All hail queen Albo!" Came one man shouting from the crowd.

"Aye! All hail Queen Albo!" Shouted another.

I felt a shiver run down my spin as the crowd broke out into a deafening chant.

"Queen Albo! Queen Albo! Queen Albo!"