255

We searched the skies for nearly an hour, soaring high over the army below, but the three dragons were elusive creatures. Doron seemed to know what direction they were hiding, but he could not seek them out, no matter how hard he tried. The army far below had halted its advance, just shy of the treeline, and they had began the recovery of their injured.

"Come on you bastards... Show yourselves." I said in frustration.

This seemed to carry across the largely barren sky, because just as I said this, a screech came from above.

"You're mine now." I uttered under my breath as Doron pitched up to meet his adversaries.

Long before we reached the clouds, May banked away at her fathers command, leaving just the black dragon to fight the three Rusino beasts. Not a moment after May flew off, the three dragons appeared through the clouds above and started dropping towards Doron and I. Doron didn't show fear, only confidence as he flew up to meet his new found targets. The three of them shot flames at Doron as the passed us by, but on of the three had poor judgement, as it flew past, and allowed itself to be swallowed by Doron's flames, before falling towards the ground, screeching in pain. 

"That's it! Two more!" I shouted.

The remaining two dragons levelled out just below us, the rider glaring back at me with dead eyes that I could hardly see. Doron fell into the circling with the two of them briefly, before making a sudden, violent lunge at the dragon without the rider to the rear. The unexpected attack caught the dragon off guard, allowing Doron to snap his jaws into its tail and pulling it back towards him, before ripping the young dragon apart and consuming its wing, before dropping the rest to the ground far below.

I felt a brief sense of triumph go through me as I watched Doron's second kill drop from the sky, blood spraying around wildly, but I was quickly brought back to reality when the third dragon and his rider pitched up and started for the clouds. Doron shot flames at the two of them, cutting them off and forcing them back down past us. Doron turned and started into a dive after the dragon, spitting flames almost blindly in the hopes of landing a lethal blow on his target. But, the dragon was expertly commanded, and evaded every attack by the black dragon as he dove for the ground. 

"Don't follow! He's baiting you into a trap!" I exclaimed.

Doron pitched up as I said this, returning to the sky above, out of reach of the armies cannons below. As we rose back towards the clouds, I looked over the once vibrant battle field far below. Dead men, women, and horses littered the field, and flames and smoke blanketed the field nearer to the shore, with the structure I had been fixated on standing untouched squarely in the centre. 

Something then caught me eye off to the left. 

Far off in the distance, beyond the trees, I could see an enormous cloud of thick, brown dust rising.