247

Two Weeks Later

    The odd feeling in my stomach had yet to leave, but I certainly had more important matters to concern myself with. Having flown far out from the mountains, we had come to within a days flight of the coast, and thus our enemies were nearly at our finger tips. The bond between Noah and May had grown strong within the weeks that had gone by since their first flight together, now with Noah growing his confidence atop the red dragons back at an exponential rate.

The night was quickly approaching, with another crackling fire keeping us warm, with our army having stopped to rest several miles behind us. Bailey was clinging to my arm for added warmth, while Noah sat across from me next to Tahli, and Amy next to me. The stars were shinning brightly in the bit of the sky that had already distanced itself from the setting suns light, but the beautiful array of colours was not to distract us from our more urgent matters.

"We need a plan." I said bluntly.

Noah cocked his head up.

"There is little to plan around. Charge through any soldiers we run into and kill the Rusino's, regardless of the casualties." He said.

I scoffed.

"We can't just fly in without a care in the world. We'll all be killed. We need to have a plan in place." I said in protest.

Noah shook his head and sighed,

"Jessica, I know it may seem scary, but there is little to plan for. They have four dragons, versus roughly two dozen on our side. Our army on the ground will suffer many deaths, but once they reach the front lines, the battle will end quickly. Their guns will be much less effective when fighting in close quarters. The best option is to send everyone at them at once, while we attack their dragons from above." Noah said.

"But, would it not make more sense for some of our dragons to hit the front lines with fire, to slow the rate of death?" Amy asked.

Noah nodded.

"Yes, that is possible. But, your biggest dragons will need to stay in the air to fight the four that they have. If you wait to bring them down, its possible that none of the army will get through. But, if only our smaller dragons attack the ground, they will likely be shot down. The cannons will easily bring them down, where as the larger ones will require to be hit in certain vital spots where their scales have grown thinner than on the rest of their body to be brought down." Noah replied.

I locked eyes with him.

"Can we win? Honestly? Or are we just flying into a death trap?" I asked firmly.

He shook his head.

"It will be a death trap for some. And, we may be killed in the fighting. But, if we do as I've suggested, some of us will survive this battle. It will be a days worth of fighting before we can bring the Rusino's to their knees, but it will be well worth the casualties. Just be prepared to see many deaths in the wake of this battle." He said in reply.

I cocked my eyebrows.

"We've been through that before. That's nothing new to us." I said.

"Yeah.... I still remember when we fought the king all those years ago. Four of the ten dragons that existed at the time were killed in that battle." Tahli added.

Noah seemed somewhat interested in what Tahli had said, but he clearly seemed to sense that it was a rather sensitive subject, and opted not to ask.

"By this time tomorrow, we will more than likely be within striking distance. Should this be the last sleep we share together, it was a pleasure to know you all." I said.

Amy and Tahli nodded lightly as Bailey's grasp on my arm tightened slightly. I looked down at her and stroked her hair.

"Don't worry. I'll stick with you." I whispered, before looking up at Noah

The two of us exchanged smiles, before I opened my mouth to speak.

"I really hope you're right." I said.