263

Later That Evening

The land from which we had come had long since vanished, replaced by wide open ocean on all sides, with the exception of scattered amongst the otherwise wide open sea around us, just as Noah had promised. The sky was clear, with only a few clouds dotting it. But, those few clouds were slowly turning orange and pink as the sun again began to set on our first day at sea. I looked down at the water below, and was able to spot a small island to the right of us within a few seconds. It was more than large enough for us all, much like many of the others, and had sheer cliff drops that dropped about one-hundred feet down into the ocean below.

"Take us there." 

Hearing my own voice after an entire day of hearing nothing but the flapping of wings and the sound of wind, was somewhat startling. But the feeling of dropping suddenly was far more surprising as we dove towards the island below. As we neared the islands edge, the spray from the sea splashed my face with a refreshing coat of sea water, though this grew cold with the oceans wind. Just as I finished whipping my face with my arm, Doron set himself down on the edge of the island, with the others setting down around him. Exhausted from not moving for the entire day, I rolled onto my back and just rested for a moment, before getting back to my feet and dismounting, joining the others on the ground.

"Well, at least we know that there are islands along the way." Amy said as the four of us reunited.

"Don't get your hopes up. It's very possible that we could find ourselves with no place to land at some point along the way." Tahli said in reply.

I chuckled.

"Even if that were to happen, the dragons can fly for days without resting. If that happens, we should be fine." I said.

Tahli scoffed sarcastically before turning away, searching for material to build a fire.

I walked to the small islands edge and looked out over the mighty ocean, as the stars slowly began to reclaim the sky for themselves.

"Beautiful, isn't it." Bailey said as she came to my side.

I nodded.

"Yes... Nature has truly created some stunning work." I replied.

A silence fell between us for a moment, with only the sounds of the waves hitting the cliffs base below, before Bailey spoke.

"Honestly, do you think we'll all die in the next fight?" She asked.

I turned to her and smiled, before putting my arm over her shoulder.

"No. I don't. I think we'll be just fine. Maybe a bit battered and broken, but, just fine." I said softly as I looked out over the water.

The two of us stood and watched the waves roll up against the cliffs of the island below, hearing their claps as they hit the rocks. It was truly a stunning, and calming sight.

"Come, let's go join Amy and Tahli at the fire. I'm anxious to read more from that book." I said as I turned and started walking.

The fire on this night was different than those of previous nights, as it was deep black, with splashes of red strewn throughout. Seeing a black fire was somewhat odd, as black, or dark, is known as the absence of light, and yet our black fire was just as bright as any fire we had seen.

Silently, I pulled the same book from the sack of several, and flipped to the page I had previously folded.

"Ready?"

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!