231

Bailey and I stood there facing each other for a moment, before Bailey suddenly and abruptly hugged me. I could feel her young heart beating with happiness for the moment, before she turned and started towards Magar after giving me a brief smile.

Amy and Tahli then stepped up to me.

"Are you sure They're up to it?" I asked them, referring to Doron and the others.

They both nodded.

"Yes. They got you out of here, and they did so with ease. Death is part of war. If they're willing to fight, they're willing to die." Tahli said.

I contemplated for a moment, thinking back to the days were the three of them were no bigger than a deer, followed by the death of my sister, the birth of Magar, and the death of her siblings. I thought about the historical documents of thousands of dragons many times the size of ours fighting each other, and dying in war, until the last dragon died some time later. I thought about the mystery that shrouded our past, and I thought about how our names would one day be legendary.

"Come on. We've got to go." Amy said as she handed me a small sack.

I looked at it with confusion.

"What's this?" I asked as I began rummaging through the bag.

I pulled out a thick book, with several more spilling out onto the ground. Seven in total.

I read the title on the book I had in my hands, which was also by far the thickest of the seven.

"The dying of the dragons"

"What's this?" I asked Amy.

We made a stop along the way here at your old school, though it was vacant and broken down in part. We collected these historical writings. Figured it would make for something to read in our... Off time." She said.

"The dying of the dragons sounds like something rather depressing to read. What's that about?" I asked.

Amy shrugged her shoulders.

"From what I've read, it sights the final few battles between the last dragons alive. The last of the native dragon riders and their dragons, against the king and his elites with their own dragons. Supposedly it takes place just before the king had the last few surviving dragons to be slaughtered, except his own. I didn't read to far into it, but it certainly seems like something worth looking into at some point." She said.

I shoved the book back into the back, along with the others, and nodded to Amy as she turned and started towards Veracon.

I then turned to Noah.

"Noah, are you ready to ride a dragon?" I asked as I turned to him.

He nodded excitedly. I nodded back as I started towards Doron, who set his wing down, destroying the fence, along with my now old cell. I held out my hand to help him up. He took it as I pulled him up. Doron's wings were slippery, but firm as we made our way up.

"Hold on to these spines. Don't let go, or else you fall to your death." I said.

I came to rest on the spot I had so many times before, and I took a moment to embrace the fact that I had reunited with my dragon, who I never thought I would get to see again. After a moment, I spoke to the dragon.

"Fly."

Doron gave one, powerful flap of his wings, taking him into the air. As we ascended, I looked down at the camp below. It was massive. Torture devices placed all throughout the enormous camp, though most of them were up in flames by that point.

"Jessica, put it behind you. Look ahead." Noah said.

I looked back ahead of me, and I watched as a small army of around two dozen dragons, and untold numbers of warriors on horseback riding below.