324

"UP! UP!" I screamed.

Doron pulled up, and beat his wings rapidly to climb out of range of the harpoons, Magar and May following close behind. The Harpoons gained on us rapidly, though much of their penetrative power was lost due to the dragons moving at a higher speed away from them. The few that did manage to find their marks simple bounced off and fell back towards the ground. Doron slowly started to turn back, in order to strafe the line of weapons before they could reload. Magar however, simply folded her wings in and rolled over, then spreading her wings again and dropping back towards the enemy below her. 

"She's to close, she'll never be able to pull up in time if they shoot..." I said to myself.

Doron seemed to share my concerns, as he called out to Magar whilst positioning himself to attack from a safer distance. May had pulled out in front of Doron and was looking back and forth between him and Magar, seemingly unsure of whether to attack or not. Doron chirped at her as he guided her over his wing, possibly to shield her from the threat from below. He chirped at her once again, then banked away and dove back towards the harpoons below-spraying fire down on thousands of soldiers as he passed over head. Magar and Bailey were flying back towards us, though much lower to the ground as Magar too sprayed fire down on the ground. 

By that point, dozens of columns of flames were blazing, smoke bellowing into the sky so much that it almost appeared to be sundown, depending on where you were. I could see that out infantry was holding their own against the enemy, though we were taking heavy losses. Sadly, we couldn't do anything against the enemy soldiers who'd mixed in with our own soldiers, without killing hundreds of our own men. As a result, we were confined to behind the front lines, slaughtering soldiers who had yet to engage with our soldiers. Finding those who led the enemy army was constantly on my mind, though there was little I could do as I couldn't bring myself to abandoned our own men. Without the three dragons over head, they wouldn't stand a chance.

My ears rang and my head shook as the sound of guns, men and dragons filled the sky, my throat dry and scratchy from the smoke filling the air I was breathing in, and my eyes watering from the wind beating against them constantly. Any brief moment of silence threw my focus off, as I had become used to the sound of war. My hands had grown sore from clinging to my dragons back, holding on for my life as he slaughtered thousands upon thousands of soldiers below him. The sound of screaming had become... Therapeutic.

"Keep high!" I shouted to Bailey as she and Magar pulled along side Doron and I after her previous strafe.

She nodded and waved, then guided Magar down for another attack, narrowly dodging a harpoon that came whipping past the two of us, vanishing into a cloud of smoke. Doron followed Magar through the smoke up ahead, spitting fire down on the soldiers below. By now, the enemies forces had been reduced to nearly nothing compared to what it once was. The seemingly flawless victory gave a stroke of confidence, causing us to drop our guard for a fleeting moment. For a moment, I felt as though we were in the clear, that we had won. 

Then, Magar screeched and jolted to the side. The smoke obscured my vision partially, so I couldn't see what was happening.My eyes widened as Magar screeched and clawed at her wing, whilst flapping the other in an attempt to stay aloft. She cried out in panic as she dropped from the sky, before slamming into the ground, rolling over several times and crushing countless soldiers before coming to rest amidst the thousands of dead soldiers around her.